Troubleshooting "failed" configuration profiles

pmcgurn
New Contributor III

Unlike policies, it seems that Configuration Profiles don't roll a log back to the JSS for troubleshooting. Since the JSS can detect a failure, it must have some kind of indicator on that. How does one troubleshoot a failure with this module?

5 REPLIES 5

dan_beaury
New Contributor

I've been searching though the forums for an answer to the exact same question. I have three configuration profiles all applied to about 250 computers. One profile has 5 failed computers, the other 6, and a third 140 failed profile installs. We're not in a perfectly homogenous environment but close enough not to have these stragglers.

chad_fox
Contributor II

I've been dealing with this for a bit now.

The only good solution I've found is to exclude the machine from the scoping and the re-scope. This will trigger the deployment again.

Not as easy as hitting 'Flush' but it'll get the job done.

cpdecker
Contributor III

Just wanted to chime in and say that I have seen configuration profiles that are installed on iPads (I know the above conversation is regarding Macs) but aren't actually taking effect. Most frequently this happens with our internal-access wireless configuration (user is still prompted for password) but I have also seen it happen often with web clips (web clip is reported as being installed but it is not present on the device...they are set to be non-removable).

The fix I have used is as @chad.fox suggests--unscoping the device from the configuration profile, allowing the profile to be removed (inventory update), and then rescoping. It's tedious, but has always worked for me.

Maybe this is something that affects both Macs and iPads?

lalitha24
New Contributor II

i have the scope as All Macs so rescoping is difficult for me any other suggestions on this

dlondon
Valued Contributor

@lalitha24 you can add the machine to the exclusion tab in scope.