Troubleshooting VPP mac app store app not updating or allowing uninstall

OneSeventeen
New Contributor II

I have a mac app store app that I've set to deploy via self service, and I have successfully installed it on two machines. Both licenses are now taken up and I have zero licenses left (yay, things worked as they should!).

Fast forward several months and I've upgraded my OS to Mojave and noticed tons of issues with the app, and the developer let me know I simply need to update the app as I am on a very old version.

I noticed the iTunes URL was wrong, so I corrected that, hoping it would upgrade automatically, but it won't. I also cannot uninstall the app. Self Service shows the app under my profile, but only gives the option to "open".

Settings on the Mac App Store App:
- Enabled
- Schedule Jamf Pro to automatically check iTunes for app updates
- Automatically Force App Updates (checks iTunes at 12:00 PM)
- Distribution Method: Make Available in Self Service
VPP: Assign VPP Content

In Jamf, it shows the current version as 8.1.6, but my installed version is 7.0.4

Any thoughts on how to remove it and reinstall it?

My coworker who installed in only a month ago is on 8.1.4

I sure would like us to both be on the latest version, but it doesn't seem to be happening. Does that mean none of my App store apps are updating?

3 REPLIES 3

j_allenbrand
Contributor

We have this same issue.

Did you find any fix?

see
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

For this, make sure the app record has the correct version. If the version on the app record is different, I would either try to change it to the most up to date version, or remove the app record and re-deploy it.
Feel free to open a case with Jamf Support so we figure out a way to resolve it.

jhuls
Contributor III

I find the App Store through Jamf to be an adventure every time I have to mess with it. I think if it's all set to be automatic, it probably works well but outside of that box...ugh. Unfortunately, we can't make it all automatic as our dept wants to control what versions get deployed and when. In these cases much of the time I have to remotely delete the app and then it will install the new version...most of the time. Also, sometimes I have to remove it completely from Jamf and put it back in.

All in all I like the idea of the Mac App Store and Jamf trying to make it work but I try to avoid it as much as possible. It accomplishes the opposite of what I want with the amount of work needed to get something done. Even now I have 40 licenses of Final Cut Pro and have most of them installed and working. According to Jamf though only 1 is in use. I haven't contacted Jamf because while it's reporting incorrectly, it's installed, working, and I don't have time to dig into the issue. The whole "it just works" moniker doesn't apply to it.