Trying to distribute Symantec Endpoint Cloud using Jamf

thomas-cedar
New Contributor II

Hey there,
I'm trying to set up Symantec Endpoint Protection Cloud to distribute through Jamf and I'm wondering if anyone has gotten this working.
Symantec's instructions to do so are...incomplete? https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.HOWTO128513.html

7 REPLIES 7

boanes
New Contributor III

That one can be a bit confusing...

What you need to do is to launch the "Symantec Endpoint Protection Installer" package, accept the message that says that you need to restart after the installation has completed, click "Tools" from the menu bar and choose "Create Remote Deployment Package". Then give your package a name and save location, then hit "Save"...

Once you have that done, then it's normal deployment from there...

thomas-cedar
New Contributor II

So the problem is that it creates two mpkg files, along with a requirements.plist and a fsdmanifest.js file. This is specifically for their cloud product, which seems to be slightly different than their normal SEP product. Previously I've always used either a pkg or dmg file to use

taugust04
Valued Contributor

I'm not familiar with this particular product, but in the past I've embedded packages inside of a package (using Composer to do this), along with config files that "manually" need to be installed to a particular location, then used post-install scripts to install the embedded packages.

anthonytji
New Contributor III

im experiencing issues with this as well, those 2 files do not seem to work properly for remote installs

CSCC-JS
Contributor III

0d29f425886a4fa580a046f90431afd4

Replace the sylink.xml file with your configuration.

1. Double-click Symantec Endpoint Protection Installer to launch the application.
  2. Click Continue in the warning message to acknowledge that a system restart is required after install.
  3. In the menu, click Tools > Create remote deployment package. Type the desired name, select a folder where you want to save the file, and then click Save.
  4. When the package creation completes successfully, click OK. The .PKG file will be at the previously specified location.

Upload pkg to jamf admin.

anthonytji
New Contributor III

thats for SEP14 we are on the SEPCLOUD version which is different and doesnt have that option anymore. thanks for taking a look though

roccob
New Contributor

I don't know if this is still a topic for you, but as we also struggled with deploying our Symantec Cloud v15 (using the SEP 14.2 client) I will give you a short step-by-step instruction:

1. Move over to your Symantec Security Cloud and switch to the 'Endpoint' tab
  2. Go to 'Settings' -> 'Installation Package'
  3. Choose 'Installation package creator'
  4. Change the device group to sth. other than Default (I really don't know why this is necessary, but Symantec told us to do so)
  5. Download package -> You will get the file: SEP_Package_Downloader_Tool.app
  6. Open the package. You will see a loading bar, afterwards it shows you a Save As button. Press it.
  7. You should get two files: Symantec Endpoint Protection.UniversalESD_RI.pkg and fsdmanifest.js
  8. If you don't get those two files but some mpkg files and a requirements.plist instead: Something went wrong! You should repeat this steps on another Mac. We had the same problem: The same source on several macs, different output.
  9. So, what you really need is the Symantec Endpoint Protection.UniversalESD_RI.pkg
  10. Upload it your Jamf Cloud and enroll with a policy
  11. It will install, the mac appears automatically in your SEP cloud.

Hope that helps you :)

Edit (as my colleague got this permalink as a solution directly from Symantec)

It seems this doesn't work any longer. This is our workaround at the moment:

1. Move over to your Symantec Security Cloud and switch to the 'Endpoint' tab
  2. Go to 'Settings' -> 'Installation Package'
  3. Choose 'Direct installation package' -> 'Download package'
  4. Grab the download url
  5. Enroll a policy including a script which downloads the package (curl only works on Mojave, on Catalina curl destroys the package - we use 'open -a safari url' instead)
  6. Enroll a notification to install the package from the download directory

This is a really bad solution. Hopefully Symantec is able to build a working deployable package, soon.