Unable to install In House Apps 9.0

billanook
New Contributor

Hi,

We updated to JSS 9.0 today and are now unable to install In House Apps on our iPads that worked previously with JSS 8.7.
When we try and install an in House App we receive the error, "Unable to Download Application" "App Name could not be downloaded at this time."

Any help to resolve this appreciated...

Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13

plawrence
Contributor II

Hi Billanook

I haven't upgraded to V9 yet. The only time I've had issues with in house apps is when uploading them, so this could be a long-shot, but is there a new JSS Database Utility? Check the MySQL settings in there and have a look at the Max Packet Size, if this is smaller than the size of your in-house app then that could be the problem.

billanook
New Contributor

Hi Plawrence,

Thanks for your response, yes, I have checked the JSS Database Utility as we had that issue when originally distributing in-house apps with previous versions of JSS.
From what I can see there has been now change to the JSS Database Utility.

ItsMe_Sean
Contributor

Hi OP

I am having the exact same issues. We upgraded from 8.7 last night to 9 and can now not install any in-house apps from Self Service on iOS

Am currently investigating and will update if we find any solution.

Sean

billanook
New Contributor

Hi Sean,

In the end we couldn't resolve the issue in a timely manner.
Luckily we took a snapshot on the VM that the JSS was installed on and rolled back to the pre 9.0 state.
Will attempt the upgrade again when time allows, would be interested hearing if you find a solution as we may very well experience it again when we upgrade for the second time.

Raed.

ItsMe_Sean
Contributor

Hi Raed

Yea, we ended up doing the same thing. Although we are running up a brand new VM JSS server with 8.7.1 and are going to separate our iOS management from 9 until we can find a fix, or JAMF updates the software with a fix.

Only pain is going through the apps and modifying the webserv address and then having to pull back the small amount of iPads, about 18 or so, we have rolled out for our trial and re-enroll them with the 8.7.1 server.

We are going to keep the upgraded V9 server because a few of us in the office are running Mavericks as well.

Sean

nsdjoe
Contributor II

Has anyone tried v9.01 with in house apps?

ItsMe_Sean
Contributor

Hi Nsdjoe

I have tried in-house apps with 9.01 with a brand new enrolled iPad and new application with no luck here.

Sean

tobiaslinder
Contributor II
Contributor II

Same problem here also with 9.0.1. Really Hope they can solve the problem soon because I should deploy in the next days.

mfennelly
New Contributor III

We just upgraded to 9.11 and are experiencing this issue. Our In House apps will not update or install. The button in Self-Service changes from install to pending, but the app doesn't install.

Did anyone ever receive a Defect ID for this issue?

IIL
New Contributor

Have you tried uploading the app file to a web address instead of to the JSS? We had a lot of trouble with apps stored in the JSS and eventually defaulted to using a web URL. That solved the problem in 8.7 but we are not running 9.1.1 yet...

mfennelly
New Contributor III

We don't store our In House apps in the JSS, they use a URL. The Web Server is working - I can download In House eBooks.

It seems that communication between the client via the Web Clip and the JSS is failing. A command isn't sent or received.

DavidSu
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hi everyone,

We have an open bug regarding InHouse apps hosted on a web share that have a space in the file name. Do the apps that won't install fit that pattern? If so, a temporary workaround would be to modify the URL for the app and replace the space with a %20.

Thanks,
Dave

ItsMe_Sean
Contributor

Hi David

I have just tried the suggested this morning and can confirm that this works, adding %20 in place of a space in the URL resolves this issue.

Thanks!

Regards
Sean