Uninstall script

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Hi-

Is it assumable that by removing all the files in http://www.jamfsoftware.com/kb/article.php?id=038 in addition to Self Service, the machine will be successfully un-managed and Casper removed?

j
---
Jared F. Nichols
Desktop Engineer, Infrastructure and Operations
Information Services Department
MIT Lincoln Laboratory
244 Wood Street
Lexington, Massachusetts 02420

3 REPLIES 3

ernstcs
Contributor III

Just remove the management account information for the computer within the JSS web and then it's affectively unmanaged.

To answer your question, if you were to remove these items, the answer is yes, but you'd still want to make sure you do what I first stated. Did you read the very last item about removeFramework?

I wouldn't totally delete loginwindow.plist, however, if you were going to delete manually for some reason.

Craig E

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Yeah, I tried the removeFramework verb, but it didn't seem to do anything at all.

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

I wrote a script that removes Casper, and all files associated that JAMF puts on a client machine. You still need to manually unmanage it from the JSS. Below is my script, just copy and paste it into your favorite text editor. Use at your own risk of course, and please test it, as I have not tested this with casper version 7.

##############################################
#!/bin/bash

#uninstall the casper client by Jamf Software and all of it's components
#
#By Thomas Larkin, use at your own risk, http://www.tlarkin.com
#
#WARNING!!! THIS WILL REMOVE ALL JAMF ITEMS INSTALLED

IFS=$' '
PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin
export PATH

home=~
list=" #jamf binary:

/usr/sbin/jamf

#jamfVNC binary:

/usr/sbin/jamfvnc

#JAMF startup script:

/System/Library/StartupItems/JAMF

#Scheduled tasks, Policies, Restricted Software, Database backups (on the JSS only)

/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.jamfsoftware.task.*

#Storage directory for Receipts, Composer Diffs, PreInstalled, etc:

/Library/Application Support/JAMF

#Login/Logout hooks:

/var/root/Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist

#Scripts:

/etc/scripts

#Autorun Cache (if enabled):

/Library/Caches/com.jamfsoftware.autorun

#JAMF configuration file:

/etc/jamf.conf

#JAMF log file:

/var/log/jamf.log

#Also, preference files for the Casper Suite applications (Casper.app, Casper Admin.app, Recon.app and Composer.app) are stored here:

$home/Library/Preferences/com.jamfsoftware.*

"

for file in $list

do

if [[ -e $file ]]

then rm -rf $file

else echo "These aren't the files you're looking for"

fi

done

exit

#This is what JAMF recommends after removing the files, please read below:
#
#If you do not delete the computer from inventory after removing these files, you will also need to edit the computer details on the JSS and remove the SSH username and SSH password:
#1) Log into your JSS and click the Inventory tab.
#2) Search for one of the computers in question and click the Edit link in the search results.
#3) Delete the SSH Username and SSH Password from the Computer Info tab.
#4) Click the "Save Computer" button.
#5) Repeat this process for any computer that you no longer wish Casper to manage. #################################################

I got all this info off of JAMF's website last year. It works quite well if you have legacy machines you no longer need to use JAMF for or for whatever reason you want to unmanage it.

-Tom

Thomas Larkin
TIS Department
KCKPS USD500
tlarki at kckps.org
blackberry: 913-449-7589
office: 913-627-0351