Uninstalling Malwarebytes endpoint

joanalaranuñez
New Contributor II

Hello everyone, 

My company is transitioning from Malwarebytes to Jamf Protect by (hopefully) the end of the month. We need to uninstall the Malwarebytes endpoints from employees' machines but we're running into some issues. The Malwarebytes Nebula console allows us to delete endpoints and remove them from computers, but the user is prompted to enter admin credentials. 

Due to company policy, no computer has admin privileges. My question is if there is a way to either remove the Malwarebytes endpoint without needing admin credentials, enter admin credentials remotely, or some other solution that I haven't thought of. I did find this article but it seems that the type of Malwarebytes endpoint we have does not have these files in users' computers so the script doesn't work.

The users do have the option to make themselves admin temporarily but I want to make this as zero-touch as possible since people can't be trusted to do this properly. It's very likely they'll cancel out of the prompt and still have Malwarebytes on their computer. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I know that this is how endpoints are deleted from the Malwarebytes console. The issue with this is once the endpoint is deleted the computer it's deleted from asks for admin credentials. 

I ended up canceling from the admin credentials pop up and it seems that the endpoint is entirely deleted from the computer anyway. I've checked the Malwarebytes Nebula console and the computer isn't showing up again. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

TheAngryYeti
Contributor
Contributor

Sometimes the best way to get something like this done is to load the software on a test Mac and then use something like AppCleaner to remove it and let it find all of the components, note the paths listed and then create a script in Jamf Pro to remove all of the components and unload any launch agents/daemons.

That's a great idea. Thanks for the suggestion. 

I know that this is how endpoints are deleted from the Malwarebytes console. The issue with this is once the endpoint is deleted the computer it's deleted from asks for admin credentials. 

I ended up canceling from the admin credentials pop up and it seems that the endpoint is entirely deleted from the computer anyway. I've checked the Malwarebytes Nebula console and the computer isn't showing up again.