Upcoming DropBox and Monterey 12.3 Issue - Can I allow 12.2, but block 12.3?

VintageMacGuy
Contributor II

We just got the following notice from DropBox about a glitch in their software with Monterey 12.3, (see below) and I am looking for a way to allow Monterey 12.1 and 12.2 to be installed, but block 12.3 until they get a fix.

The two options I have seen so far are not what I am looking for:

• Block ALL OS updates for up to 90 days using a Configuration Profile (Nope - just looking to block 12.3 and let others upgrade to 12.2)
  • Block Major OS Upgrades with a Restricted Software policy (Nope - You are OK to install Monterey from Big Sur, just stop at 12.2)

Here is the notice:

We’re reaching out with an update about Dropbox on the upcoming macOS 12.3 release. For this release, Dropbox doesn’t have full support for online-only files just yet. We’re actively working on full support, and the beta version will begin rolling out in March 2022.

What you might notice after updating to macOS 12.3

Some apps on your Mac might have trouble opening Dropbox files while they’re online-only. You’ll still be able to open Dropbox files by double-clicking them in Finder.

How we’re addressing this

We’re hard at work on full support for online-only files on macOS 12.3 and beyond.

The beta version will begin rolling out to customers in March 2022. To make sure you can access it, turn on early releases.

3 REPLIES 3

thefishyfew
New Contributor II

@VintageMacGuy- I have the same question. I was looking to see if it could be scripted but the --ignore command has been deprecated.

#!/bin/bash

softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Big Sur"
softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Big Sur 11.0.1"
softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Big Sur 11.2.1"
softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Big Sur 11.2.3"

### https://www.idownloadblog.com/2020/05/28/apple-removes-ignoring-macos-updates/

May
Contributor III

Did you find a way?
if not would you be able to use these in a profile scoped to just 12.2 computers?
I think the deferral can be up to 90 days from the release date of the OS.

<key>forceDelayedMajorSoftwareUpdates</key>
    <key>enforcedSoftwareUpdateMajorOSDeferredInstallDelay</key>

I see what you are trying to do - but I think scoping it to 12.2 may not work as any recent OS version could potentially be upgraded or updated to 12.3 - not just 12.2.

And the Major part of that would relate to an update from, say 11.x to 12.x - which would block anyone from going from Big Sur to Monterey, but would not stop anyone going from 12.1 to 12.3.

I do appreciate the effort, though and like the idea of scoping a restriction somehow. Thank you for that.