update 3rd party app on app store with SUS

Dalmatian
Contributor

Hi All

i've setup a SUS and push a configuration profile with branch URL to client mac. Is it possible for client to update 3rd party app from Apple Store?

so far whenever client wants to update, it will go check the branch url, which containing apple patches, but what about the other 3rd party app update such as evernote on apple store?

can SUS cover those updates as well or client can only update Apple patches with SUS

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

The short answer is no.

The longer answer is still no, but you can setup a caching server using Server.app so that the app downloads are cached internally and don't eat up your pipe to the outside world.

Also, it depends on how you are deploying the apps to the computers too. If it's just the users downloading the apps themselves, then the caching server will take care of the caching portion and the Mac App Store will take care of prompting the user for the update. If it's via VPP I think the same may still apply since it's still an app assigned to a user's personal apple id. But hopefully someone can confirm that as I don't make use of VPP.

If you are somehow grabbing the app AFTER it's been installed via the MAS with your own apple id then you will need to supply the credentials for that apple id on all computers unless you've capture the new update and push that out yourself.

If you are grabbing the app's pkg installer that comes from the MAS then you don't have to worry about the apple id prompts as it is not associated to anyone at that point. But you will need to worry about manually pushing out any updates yourself. Look at this article for an example on how to do that: https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2013/10/19/downloading-microsofts-remote-desktop-installer-package...

Hopefully that covers the different methods in which MAS apps can be deployed and updated.

Obviously there are pros and cons to consider depending on the method you decide to go with when it comes to MAS app deployment. Also keep in mind that there are some developers that have apps in the MAS but also have the same downloads available on their website too.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

The short answer is no.

The longer answer is still no, but you can setup a caching server using Server.app so that the app downloads are cached internally and don't eat up your pipe to the outside world.

Also, it depends on how you are deploying the apps to the computers too. If it's just the users downloading the apps themselves, then the caching server will take care of the caching portion and the Mac App Store will take care of prompting the user for the update. If it's via VPP I think the same may still apply since it's still an app assigned to a user's personal apple id. But hopefully someone can confirm that as I don't make use of VPP.

If you are somehow grabbing the app AFTER it's been installed via the MAS with your own apple id then you will need to supply the credentials for that apple id on all computers unless you've capture the new update and push that out yourself.

If you are grabbing the app's pkg installer that comes from the MAS then you don't have to worry about the apple id prompts as it is not associated to anyone at that point. But you will need to worry about manually pushing out any updates yourself. Look at this article for an example on how to do that: https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2013/10/19/downloading-microsofts-remote-desktop-installer-package...

Hopefully that covers the different methods in which MAS apps can be deployed and updated.

Obviously there are pros and cons to consider depending on the method you decide to go with when it comes to MAS app deployment. Also keep in mind that there are some developers that have apps in the MAS but also have the same downloads available on their website too.

Leal
New Contributor III

Any changes on this? @bpavlov

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

I do not believe the answer has changed.