Updating to latest El Cap - which package to use?

jgwatson
Contributor

I have a number of users on different OS version ranging from 10.8.5 to 10.11. Is their one package I can remotely cache to all of these latops to do the update? Or should they be different?

Thanks so much.

5 REPLIES 5

Jens_Mansson
New Contributor

Use El Capitan from the App Store, it's the only available and the only you need to get your clients updated. Once downloaded you can grab it from /Applications.

jgwatson
Contributor

On this page I see a combo update, and one called just update.....which one? Thanks

https://support.apple.com/downloads/

Jens_Mansson
New Contributor

Go to the App Store, search El Capitan. Make it easy =)

Aaron
Contributor II

For users already on 10.11 you'll just want the Combo Update. Everyone else will need the 10.11 ESD which you can get from the App store (it's not easily available as a separate download), and then the Combo Update on top of it.

There's no one do-it-all package.

dpertschi
Valued Contributor
There's no one do-it-all package.

Sure there is. Download the current OS installer from Apple App Store and then run that through createOSXinstallPkg.

Upload resulting .pkg to Casper and scope out as a Self Service item to anyone running OS < 10.11.x (Restart options- Startup Options: OS X Installer, Restart Immediately)

And of course the 10.11 combo and delta updaters. (ok, ok, so that's three packages!)