Upgrade testing template - Major OS to new Major OS

rodderzzz
New Contributor

Hi there,

I wanted to try and avoid reinventing the wheel and thought best to ask here!

What are peoples approach to testing the latest OS before releasing to their company?

I know theres a short deployment limbo in that machines out of box dont immediately ship with the latest OS, so to my knowledge you cant test that immediate zero touch process, but what about existing machines that are upgraded in place and testing their suitablitilty for the general app estate you have?

I know it will be somewhat bespoke to your company, but short of just upgrading, then opening as many apps and loading websites/tools as possible there was a more structured/automated way?

Cheers!

2 REPLIES 2

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Some quick notes off the top of my head:

• Prepare new macOS with new CIS Hardening guide, or whenever it releases

• Test core apps

• Test Idp, SSO

• Test any certs

• Have a deployment ring. Test internally with others in IT. Stretch your ring to other departments when ready.

• Repeat these with the early dot releases/updates

• Test provisioning workflow, ABM

• Test any security software, agents, or binaries

rodderzzz
New Contributor

Gotcha - thanks for that.

Whats your quick 1,2,3 for testing core apps? Do you have a playbook that you run through step by step that can be shared with anyone in the team?

Ive seen Apples IT document which outlines baseline approaches to macos setup/stance but seems quite involved if you're a small team and not sure of its complete relevance.