uploading a mobie config for users to download not to install

slinxy
New Contributor II

Hi

I have a mobile config file (eduroam) that I want to make available in self service, I want the users to download via self service and then run automatically; or cancel the install and they can copy and run on another machine. Is this possible?

The mobile config file itself prompts the user for info that we can't automate and they might be downloading it for a colleague who doesn't have wifi setup on their machine.

Thanks
H.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sam_g
Contributor
Contributor

There's a few ways to approach this that I can think of, but seems like a lot of over engineering. Might be easier just to compress the mobile config file and share the .zip via some other method (whatever you guys use for file storage).

However, if you're set on Self Service...the easiest way may be to zip the config file and then use composer to create a package that puts it in a specific location (like /Users/Shared) and then have a small bash script that runs with the policy and determines who the current user is, finds the zipped package, uncompresses the zip file, and saves the config file to their desktop.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

sam_g
Contributor
Contributor

There's a few ways to approach this that I can think of, but seems like a lot of over engineering. Might be easier just to compress the mobile config file and share the .zip via some other method (whatever you guys use for file storage).

However, if you're set on Self Service...the easiest way may be to zip the config file and then use composer to create a package that puts it in a specific location (like /Users/Shared) and then have a small bash script that runs with the policy and determines who the current user is, finds the zipped package, uncompresses the zip file, and saves the config file to their desktop.

slinxy
New Contributor II

Thanks...
I just dropped the .mobileconfig file to the users/shared.. created a dmg to copy the file to the location then a script to open the .mobileconfig, wait for 5 and then delete it.

worked as required. :)