USB key for Mac provisioning

CFrian
New Contributor II

Currently we are using a USB key to provision Macbooks. If I'm not mistaken the image used in this USB key is from a MacBook (http://www.apple.com/macbook/). My question is, can I use this USB key to provision MacBook Pro? I'm having a concern regarding the drivers of the two different models might not match.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jjones
Contributor II

If you made a USB installer from an installation i.e. Yosemite/El Capitan downloaded from the App Store, it will work with all models supported under that OSX version. If you made the image using something like deploystudio, it should still work similar as stated previously.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

jjones
Contributor II

If you made a USB installer from an installation i.e. Yosemite/El Capitan downloaded from the App Store, it will work with all models supported under that OSX version. If you made the image using something like deploystudio, it should still work similar as stated previously.

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

If you haven't done it this way, I'd +1 @jjones to get all the drivers packaged properly.

sudo /[path to installer app]/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /[your installer Volume] --applicationpath /[path to installer app]/ --nointeraction

CFrian
New Contributor II

Thank you for answering. I was able to reimage my MacBook Pro already and verified it is working.