USB read only but allow exceptions

steve1127
New Contributor

Hi I had a post further down but find the issue to be Sophos fault and they wont fix it @:{:@:}~@{:}:!!

Anyways... is it possible within JSS to make usb devices read only but allow some exceptions? in which will only apply to say our staff group and not students?

If not, is there any other way i can do this without installing 3rd party software?

4 REPLIES 4

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

I have a Configuration Profile that only handles the Read/Write access to media and I have it scoped to All Computers, but I also have a small group called IT Macs added to the Exclusions tab so the IT Staff can use USB drives on their Macs. You can do something similar for teachers' computers. Additionally, since this profile is separate from all the other profiles I made, I can add individual machines to the exclusions on an as-needed basis. The only oddball thing is that the computer needs to be rebooted after the exclusion is granted before they can use their USB drive.

mani2care
Contributor

tried still working the USB one time blocked as mentioned the configuration but allowing after 5095f0de38944965bb0e249b6a002279

a_holley
Contributor

You've changed your INTERNAL drives to read-only, and haven't changed your EXTERNAL settings by the looks of it.

mani2care
Contributor

do we have any option to know the extension attribute USB status