User initiated enrollment

Appleaday5k
New Contributor

I feel like a complete bone head but can’t get past this issue. Any help would be appreciated.

I am studying for the JAMF 100 and setup a simple trial account.  I want to enroll an iPhone to test it.   When I go to /enroll it prompts for my jamf account, then my managed Apple ID.  No matter what I do I cannot get past this step and skip the managed Apple ID like they do in the training videos as I don’t use managed Apple id’s.  

Below are the settings I verified:

1.  I created a test user with enrollment rights

2. under settings > global management > user-initiated enrollment under iOS I selected ‘enable personally owned devices’ via profile driven enrollment via url.  The two other boxes are unchecked.  

3.  under settings > global management > user-initiated enrollment under access the group is set to “all ldap users”, allow group to enroll personally owned devices is the only option set.

note: I do not have an ldap server setup for this test  

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Tribruin
Valued Contributor II

Enrolling "Personally owned devices" is Apple's new and preferred enrollment process and allows the end user to keep their work and personal data seperate. However it REQUIRES the organization to issue the user a Managed AppleID from Apple Business Manager (or Apple School Manager.) 

Since you don't have a MAID, you can't use BYOD enrollment. You need to select "enable for Institutionally owned devices" instead. This will enroll your device in to Jamf fully. In a production environment, devices enrolled as Institutional devices are much more managable than BYOD devices. 

This enrollment method is not very common anymore as most organizations will enroll their organizational device using Apple Business Manager and Automated Device Enrollment. But, since you don't have ABM, you can use this method to enroll your test devices. 

(P.S. I would be very careful about enrolling your iPhone. If you have any other iOS device, I would use that instead.) 

View solution in original post

Appleaday5k
New Contributor
2 REPLIES 2

Tribruin
Valued Contributor II

Enrolling "Personally owned devices" is Apple's new and preferred enrollment process and allows the end user to keep their work and personal data seperate. However it REQUIRES the organization to issue the user a Managed AppleID from Apple Business Manager (or Apple School Manager.) 

Since you don't have a MAID, you can't use BYOD enrollment. You need to select "enable for Institutionally owned devices" instead. This will enroll your device in to Jamf fully. In a production environment, devices enrolled as Institutional devices are much more managable than BYOD devices. 

This enrollment method is not very common anymore as most organizations will enroll their organizational device using Apple Business Manager and Automated Device Enrollment. But, since you don't have ABM, you can use this method to enroll your test devices. 

(P.S. I would be very careful about enrolling your iPhone. If you have any other iOS device, I would use that instead.) 

Appleaday5k
New Contributor

Thank you!