User notification that their system is meeting compliance for an OSX upgrade.

bjones
New Contributor III

TLDR: I am looking for a way to be able to take a few smart groups i have set that justify compliance of a system being ready for an OSX upgrade and create a button in self service that will give a yes or no.

Scripting is not my strong point at all and i am fairly new to this. I have the Smart Group set and i currently have users pinging me asking is their system meeting the requirements. Once they are cleared they will go to the app store and download it themselves. We currently don't cache due to bandwith at the moment. I would like for the button i create in self service to query the smart group and if the system is there respond with feel free to upgrade and if no advise them to consult IT.

I hope this makes sense what im trying to accomplish.

4 REPLIES 4

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

Hi @bjones, if I'm interpreting your inquiry correctly, you're looking for some kind of pop-up dialog that will display information to the user? I'd say make some kind of centralized smart group that checks for membership of whatever other smart groups you set up for eligibility (a master smart group of sorts) and scope the confirmation/eligibility policy in Self Service only to those machines. Alternately, you can combine the criteria from those individual groups into one Smart Group if that's easier to manage.

Once you do that, jamfHelper can do the rest. I have a post that discusses "demystifying" jamfHelper here. That may be a good start for that part of what you want to accomplish.

bjones
New Contributor III

@emily

Thanks for the quick response and you are right on point for what i am trying to accomplish. Currently i have a a smart group that has been created showing all ok systems based on two parameters needed to upgrade to Sierra in our environment. So now i am trying to use self service to place a button called " Sierra Check" and it will check to see if the system is part of the smart group and provide a response on screen saying "yes feel free to update". And maybe if the response is "no" it can say maybe "contact IT" or what the issue is based on the two parameters.

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

Well if the machine is in the group they already pass the check, right? So just scope the Self Service to just those machines, and have the jamfHelper dialogue say "Congradulations!" or whatever. You can scope a second policy to machines not in compliance, and have a dialogue say something to that effect, and recommend they contact IT for assistance.

Joeborner
New Contributor II

@bjones - One good idea would be to create a group with the criteria: [Eligible for an upgrade & Have not yet upgraded & Does not have installer Cached (or let it run once per machine)] - Then cache a copy of the installer on all machines in this smart group.
Then create a second smartgroup for "if sierra Installer cached" and create a policy to give the users in this group a jamfhelper notification that they can upgrade from Self Service, then a Self Service policy to run the cached installer.

This would mean that any machines that can be upgraded will have the resources stored locally, and leave a self service installer that will run quickly as they will not need to download the installer first as that has been prepared beforehand. Will save users lots of time on a busy network!