Users who stay on the login screen for a while, gets a message asking "if they forgotten their pw"

sonny_trinh
New Contributor II

Hello,

My users when they turn on their machines, and stay on the login page, get a prompt asking if they forgot their passwords. and to restart the machine it will automatically do recovery mode for them.

Well users being users dont read, and restart their machine for some reasons, and it brings them to recovery mode, where they meet a lockpad.

Is there a way to turn off that prompt and action?

Thank you!

Hammy Choi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I wish there was. I've had a few Mac users get to the firmware lock screen inadvertently because of those same messages. It's annoying, but Apple provides no way to disable those messages that I've been able to find. Only thing you can do is user education and hope people remember not to do that.

We're instructing users that if they have forgotten their account password or it's not working to unlock the Mac to contact support and we can provide them with their individual FileVault Recovery key. From there they can get in and if needed, reset their password locally.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

DBrowning
Valued Contributor II

So the login screen you are speaking of here is the FileVault Login Screen.  This is a default of the OS when FileVault is enabled.  There is no way to turn it off that I'm aware of other then disabling FileVault.

Hey DBrowning,

Thank you for the reply. What do you think about the Prompt asking if they forgot their passwords? Is there a way to disable that? The one that forces it to recovery mode if you restart. 

Hammy Choi

DBrowning
Valued Contributor II

Unfortunately not that I'm aware of.    

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I wish there was. I've had a few Mac users get to the firmware lock screen inadvertently because of those same messages. It's annoying, but Apple provides no way to disable those messages that I've been able to find. Only thing you can do is user education and hope people remember not to do that.

We're instructing users that if they have forgotten their account password or it's not working to unlock the Mac to contact support and we can provide them with their individual FileVault Recovery key. From there they can get in and if needed, reset their password locally.

sonny_trinh
New Contributor II

Hey mm270,

Thank you for your reply. That is exactly the situation I been running into. Lets hope one day that will change and we can disable that. 

Hammy Choi

user-joRWFBbOUw
New Contributor

Users who stay on the login screen for a while, gets a message asking "if they forgotten their pw". Go to solution. sonny_trinh. New Contributor II. Options.

My Balance Now

mabelgoodrich
New Contributor

The authority management team members should rethink about the forgotten pw issue since many customers need to discover it. Thanks for letting us know about the procedure to get back the pw for accessing into the services.
chatrandom

Janner
New Contributor

It's so typical for users not to read any message and fail to ordinary tasks like this. In my opinion either the text should be more visible (use bigger font), or extra images need to use.  In my project chatroulette we faced almost identical issue and it was solved by adding extra screen where users must manually confirm their decision (they need to write a text). Obviously, it's not a good decision for your issue but maybe it will drive you to look for new ideas.