Using Target Disk mode on same machine multiple times

ewettach
New Contributor III

We are using Casper Imaging for target disk mode imaging. We are testing our image and have applied an image to a client that was in target disk mode. After that we disconnect and check to see if our image worked. If we want to image that computer again with target disk mode, we must reboot the host for it to appear either in Casper Imaging or even in disk utility. Is there a command that we can run to clear the cache or whatever is keeping it from mounting a second time?

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

musat
Contributor III

We are having a similar issue. I have created a "host" computer to do the Target Mode Imaging. I can image two or three computers, and then any new computers are not detected by the host. I have to reboot the host before any new computers are detected again.

Any ideas?

chris_miller
Contributor

I used Target Mode imaging last summer and very, very seldom had one of these issues. Now it seems to be prolific. I would like to see this revisited. If anyone has any solutions that would be great.

majedian21
New Contributor III

This exact issue is occurring in our environment as well. We have 4 imaging stations running Target Disk Mode and each one of them can only image up to 5 computers before it stops recognizing new or previous devices. Rebooting the entire imaging station is the only way to get it to recognized attached devices again. This has become a significant bottleneck in our rollout of 1:1 laptops for this coming school semester. Any advice would be appreciated.

nessts
Valued Contributor II

buy a thunderbolt external disk, put a bootable OS on it, boot each machine from that OS, build it, then you reboot each time :)

GSquared
New Contributor II

Having this problem as well. Has been going on for quite some time and also having a 1-to-1 system to image and roll out it has caused quite a pain to reboot after every 2-5 images. Especially if you start working on something and have to reboot in the middle of your thought because the computer won't recognize the new machine.

quedayone
Contributor

I would like to see this fixed as well I only have a few test machines.

quedayone
Contributor

I have created a feature request for this.

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/featureRequest.html?id=1565