Very specific, detailed permissions

gmorgan
New Contributor III

I know there have been many questions about permissions, but I promise this one is different.  I have a media teacher who saves video to a file share and has her students access them from there.  She is requesting a much more detailed permissions setting than just R+W, read, none.  Here's an excerpt from her request:

I need EVERYONE who has access to the (secret name) drive to be able to see & download & ADD TO ALL THE SUBFOLDERS within. They should be able to edit and delete (secret folder name). They should not be able to delete (different secret folder name), but should be able to see and download from it.

Here's the issue.  If I understand correctly, R+W will also give delete permissions. Read only won't allow copying or editing. How do I handle this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

gmorgan
New Contributor III

Just for anyone else who may see this post, I found what I was looking for.  It turns out it's called "ACL Manipulation Options".  You can read about them by going to the chmod man page.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

SlidewaysF30
New Contributor III

According to some posts I've read about UNIX permissions, the user would need W+X permissions on the directory to delete the file. 

gmorgan
New Contributor III

I once saw a way of using the CLI to set each individual permission in great detail, but I can't remember it and can't seem to find it again.  This is WELL past RWX.

gmorgan
New Contributor III

Just for anyone else who may see this post, I found what I was looking for.  It turns out it's called "ACL Manipulation Options".  You can read about them by going to the chmod man page.