View in place upgrade status...

Chuey
Contributor III

When doing an in place upgrade and you're at the "Installing: About X minutes remain" screen, there use to be a keystroke to bring up a log file to show exactly what it was doing. It has slipped my mind and wondered if it was still possible to view this when upgrading to El Capitan.

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

If you take the mouse to the top of the screen, you get a menu bar and can show logs if you want.

htse
Contributor III

I could be mistaken, but doesn't the upgrade process in 10.11 do it's work without a windowing layer?, with just a startup screen with a status bar?

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

The OS X installer from the Mac App Store, reboots into a temporary OS X Installer partition / environment. I do not believe it is just a layered window across the desktop.

Chuey
Contributor III

@bpavlov I do not remember seeing a cursor on that screen but I'll test next time I do one. @htse Yes, it is not a layered window, it reboots into a black screen, apple logo, and progress bar. I use to be able to do a command key like COMMAND+L and the screen would split from bottom up with a log file of what was being done behind the scenes.

Chuey
Contributor III

@bpavlov Just an update... I am currently doing an in place upgrade and there is no cursor on the screen with the logo, progress bar, and "installing: about X minutes remaining"

I remember doing in place upgrades from Mavericks to Yosemite and being able to view a log file directly on that screen using a keystroke and I cannot remember for the life of me. Maybe they disabled it, I'm not sure.