Viewing kernel panic logs remotely?

mconners
Valued Contributor

Hi Everyone,

Just trying to get help on an issue. I have this case already open with apple engineering through our Apple Care Select agreement so waiting for them, but thought I would pick your brains a bit.

We are getting random computers across our college getting kernel panics. When I get to the computer, it has been restarted and nothing seems wrong with it. This has been happening for a week and have affected maybe a dozen random systems with no apparent relationship between them.

These computers have had system updates pushed via Casper along with removing active directory users folders during our winter break. We have updated a couple of applications as well. The user gets to the desktop, the dock appears, the menu bar is built and just before they can click on an application to launch, the system does a kernel panic and restarts. Strange thing, for the crashes that I know about, the Macs are crashing simply on login for a specific user on a specific Mac. Meaning anyone else using that computer doesn't appear to have issues. If this user moves to a different Mac, things are fine.

So we have removed that user folder, restarted and things have cleared up but I am trying to find root cause.

Does anyone know of a remote log viewer for the Mac? I know I can SSH using terminal, but if I could pull the log file from the remote system into console or some other tool, it would be more useful.

Maybe I am over thinking this a bit and someone else has some thoughts to point me in a different direction.

Thanks again for anything and all comments as they are helpful in my troubleshooting this entire thing.

Mick

1 REPLY 1

SeanA
Contributor III

You can have the system logs and kernel files be copied over to your computer. At that point, you can place them in the Console on your computer.

Check out the following threads for inspiration:
Retrieve system logs
System Diagnostic Logs from your Users