VPN installed????

lpadmin
Contributor

Backstory - Student computers all have a program called Securly set up on their computer. This allows us to monitor and filter student activity and send reports to parents. To set it up I have to change the DNS settings to point to Securly and install a certificate. Once I do those two things it starts working. Students in the past have used VPNs to get around Securly. I have set up now where students can not install VPN's (to the best of my knowledge).

Current Issue - A student computer is not being filtered or monitored and all of the Securly settings are still in place as they should be. It does not matter if the student is using Chrome or Safari, Securly is not working for either browser. There are no extensions installed and the I do not see any network settings that are set differently from what they should be. The IP address is being reported as 192.241.173.138. This is not a school IP address or a Securly IP address and the location appears to be in New York which is also wrong. This makes me believe that a VPN is running on it but I don't see any settings or software that shows a VPN is running.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

lpadmin
Contributor

So I was able to see that a Proxy had been set up by going to chrome://net-internals/#proxy

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

chris_hansen
Contributor

Opera for example has a free VPN built in. http://www.opera.com/computer/features/free-vpn
Do you restrict apps from running from other locations?
Maybe software is being run from the user space, like from Desktop, Downloads...

lpadmin
Contributor

@chris.hansen Opera is not installed, I have checked other user files to see if an app was running and did not find anything. I have tried in the past to restrict apps running from other locations and that just caused more issues than it solved. Thanks for the suggestions.

lpadmin
Contributor

So I was able to see that a Proxy had been set up by going to chrome://net-internals/#proxy