VPP Assignments to device rather than user

sletts
New Contributor

I am able to assign apps via going to the app and then scoping the devices.

However, the User VPP assignments seems to be more efficient (i.e. being able to select multiple apps and then change the scope).

Our iPads are shared and aren't tied to a user, is there any way to make our process more efficient?

3 REPLIES 3

RLR
Valued Contributor

You can either make the iPads tied to a generic user to use User based VPP assignments which is quicker to assign apps but takes far longer to set each iPad up.

Or you can scope the apps via the app catalog using device based VPP which takes time to setup each app scope but doesn't mean much work is needed on the iPad.

Personally, I prefer device based assignments as once it's all setup, you can just turn an iPad on and it will get all its profiles and apps (as long as it's in DEP).

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

An iPad doesn't have to be in DEP in order to get device-based assigned apps.

apizz
Valued Contributor

@sletts I actually find device-based VPP better, that is if you control all the devices. Doesn't require anyone to enter their Apple IDs, no need to create a whole bunch of Apple IDs or have a single account for everyone to use.

Especially if your iPads are shared and not tied to a single person, that is going to be your best option rather than having to tell your users to sign in to distribute apps. Not sure what Apple will be announcing officially on March 21st, but hopefully we'll see how 9.3 changes (and maybe improves?) things.