VPP Deployment via Self Service (without Apple ID from user)

rblaas
Contributor II

Hi all,

I would like to know if it is possible to deploy a Mac App store App via Self Service without the use of the Users Apple ID.

I know I can deploy Mac Store Apps via JSS with the Automatic Deploy option. But I don't want this app to be automatic deployed. I want it to be a Users choice. But I don't want to force users on an Apple ID (yes we have lot's of users without an Apple ID)

What I have done so far is bought the (free) app via VPP for business. The App is shown in casper with the license total. Create a Mac store App and set the Distribution to SelfService. Now the app is available in SelfService but when a User clicks on install it redirects to the App store and when a user click Install there is a prompt for an Apple ID which I do not want.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rblaas
Contributor II

Update,

I took a guess. And when you deselect the App is Free checkbox.. The App will install without an Apple ID.!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

rblaas
Contributor II

Update,

I took a guess. And when you deselect the App is Free checkbox.. The App will install without an Apple ID.!

khey
Contributor

hi @rblaas

This option is only available for El Capitan devices and put computers as the scope and All Users.

Go to Search VPP Content - your App and make sure the license is already allocated to the device (in use), otherwise it will ask for Apple ID.

under the App VPP Option - ticked Assign VPP content

rblaas
Contributor II

@khey So basically what you are saying that I only have to wait for the license to be assigned to a device before a user should run the self service install?

I was aware of the El Capitan only.

Thanks for your reply

khey
Contributor

@rblaas yes, thats right. Based on my observation, if the license is not assigned to a device, user will be prompted for apple id upon installation.