What is admins using for deferral options of policies ?

jameson
Contributor II

JAMF can do lot of stuff, but the build in deferral options are just nonsense and actually embarrassing to even have build into a product. A popup saying that somekind of management update is available, but it is not possible inform users about what software it is.

So - just wondering what kind of scripts there exist that admin´s are using. Just to push out software that users can defer to a later stage should be optional. And also if the deferral has been pushed X times the software should be forced installed

I am not thinking specific about OS updates, but more in general policies that contain software updates, that I would like to have a default way to setup so users can defer like 3 amounts of times, but afterwards it is forced installed

5 REPLIES 5

leonwun
Contributor

There is a similar option with JAMF Pro's "Patch Management". You just upload a package of the newest software version and create a patch policy. This patch policy can create a pop-up as a reminder and also force install after a certain time-frame.
The main problem I see is that there are not many supported programs (just Adobe, Office and some more..).

I'd be interested in some scripts as well though!

jameson
Contributor II

Patch management in Jamf is also not very usable in my view. Upgrade message is just short slide in notification in the top right corner - not something users really see

leonwun
Contributor

I agree, there are many possible improvements and this should absolutely be a bigger topic.

jameson
Contributor II

As far I remember there already last years was some "rumours" saying that Jamf was close with new solution similar to Munki - but wondering if I should go for Munki or keep on believing something is soon relased

tjhall
Contributor III

We use Patchserver (https://patchserver.readthedocs.io/en/latest/) for the third party applications which aren't included in JSS patching. Works well but uses the same mechanism as the JSS patching.

Worth checking out Kinobi as well (https://marketplace.jamf.com/details/kinobi/)