What is the command line equivalent of "Apply ownership and permissions to enclosed items"?

tnielsen
Valued Contributor

I was attempting to reset ACL and permission bits to root:wheel 775 to a folder and all subfolder. Then add a specific user to that ACL list as well, let's say the username is Tim.
So on a folder and all subfolders/files I want the following permissions:

root (owner) 7
wheel(group) 5
everyone 5
tim 7 (read/write)

I have been using:

chmod -R +a <folder> "tim allow read,write"

When it's all said and done, I want the finder window to NOT SHOW CUSTOM permissions and show simply "read/write".

Second question: What is the command line option to "apply to enclosed items" in the finder menu? Let's say I wanted to perpetuate the current permissions to all subfolders/files. Is there an easy command to do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

tnielsen
Valued Contributor

and i figured it out, had to read the current permission list with:

ls -le

then simply copied the settings the finder menu gives to "read/write". the command that answers my own question is:

sudo chmod -R +a "tim allow list,list,add_file,search,add_subdirectory,delete_child,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity" test

The user then shows read/write in the finder menu permissions pane.
That was annoying.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

tnielsen
Valued Contributor
chown -R root:wheel <folder>
chmod -R -a "tim allow read,write" test

The folder permissions end up still showing custom for user "tim".

tnielsen
Valued Contributor

and i figured it out, had to read the current permission list with:

ls -le

then simply copied the settings the finder menu gives to "read/write". the command that answers my own question is:

sudo chmod -R +a "tim allow list,list,add_file,search,add_subdirectory,delete_child,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity" test

The user then shows read/write in the finder menu permissions pane.
That was annoying.

MartinM64
New Contributor II

Hello, could you help me understand how to apply this to the files and folders found in a Final Cut Pro Library file (Users/Shared/jamf_manage/Jamf_Test1.fcpbundle). Students are saving their library file in the Shared folder for other users on the machine to have access to. The students can change the permissions on Jamf_Test1.fcpbundle to read&write, however it does not apply the change to the files located in Jamf_Test1.fcpbundle. I appreciate any help you can offer. Thank you.

MartinM64
New Contributor II

Hello, please disregard my previous message, I have figured it out. Thank you.