What is the limit of criteria that can be used in a smart group?

david_yenzer
Contributor II

I did a little poking around on prior threads but didn't see an immediate answer, so:

What is the limit of criteria that can be used in a smart group? Is there a difference if you use all the same category or is there just a hard limit?

In our scenario I created a nested smart group called "elementary iPad carts" that contains subgroups of specific teacher names such as "teacher.wr" who have the carts. It was all fine and dandy around 15 subgroups, but today we had a bunch of mini-groups added that more than doubled that number to 38 and our JSS went south hard. Once I deleted them from the subgroup (and made a separate group for them) we returned to normality.

So what variables are at play in this situation?

Thanks for the tips and tricks!

2 REPLIES 2

millersc
Valued Contributor

Our TAM has suggested no more than 25 criteria. I have one that is just over that but generally we can find a way to keep it well under.

jjones
Contributor II

I'll add as well our TAM mentioned that having nested smart groups in a smart group can also cause performance issues and suggested not to do that. Especially if the nested smart group combo has to search multiple mysql tables.