Where to upload package

Morningside
Contributor II

I am trying to get "one-button reinstall" working on a student laptop, and I am following this guide here: https://www.jamf.com/blog/reinstall-a-clean-macos-with-one-button/

However, at one point it says: "When it finishes, upload the InstallAssistant pacakge directly to Jamf Pro and deploy to your Macs using a policy. It’s OK to rename the package file before uploading.",  but I have no idea where in Jamf to do that.

I tried using the Packages widget within settings but even when I add a name and upload the package there, click save, it doesn't show up in the list.

Any advice on this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Morningside
Contributor II

As an update: I was indeed uploading the package in the correct spot, but the reason I was not seeing it in the list of uploaded packages after clicking on save is because it was a massive file, and it had not finished uploading! 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

jcarr
Release Candidate Programs Tester

What kind of distribution points are you using?

I am not sure what you mean by that exactly, but we use cloud-based Jamf Pro. 

jcarr
Release Candidate Programs Tester

That's likely the issue.  You need to set up a distribution point as a repository for packages you plan to install via Jamf Pro.  See the link I posted.  Since you have cloud hosted Jamf Pro, you likely have a license for the Jamf Cloud Distribution Service.  Turn this on in "Cloud Distribution Point" section of "Server Infrastructure" selecting "Jamf Cloud" as the content delivery network.

After you've done that, try uploading the (I assume) "erase-install-depnotify-26.0.pkg" again.  You should then be able to add it to a policy as described in that blog post.

As it happens, I already have Jamf Cloud configured as a distribution point so this is not the issue. 

Morningside
Contributor II

As an update: I was indeed uploading the package in the correct spot, but the reason I was not seeing it in the list of uploaded packages after clicking on save is because it was a massive file, and it had not finished uploading!