Why Renew My Apple Enterprise Developer Program?

ernstcs
Contributor III

If I understood things correctly things have changed in how we're able to get into the iOS device management world with JAMF and NOT have to generate a certificate through an Apple Enterprise account. Is that correct?

If that is correct then would anyone have a good reason they can think of that I should renew that, or what am I missing that still requires it?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

I believe if you switch the cert you need to re-enroll your devices?

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

With membership in the iOS Developer program, you gain access to pre-released versions of iOS and possibly Xcode.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

CasperSally may be correct, although I have no actual evidence of this. If you have an Apple rep, or better yet an Apple SE you work with, I would check in with them to see how you'd go about renewing your APN certificate. It may be the case that if you don't renew your iOS dev Program membership you could have trouble getting a new APN that will allow you to just continue with iOS management uninterrupted.

Other than that, you're right that membership is not needed just to create an APN certificate anymore. Its nice for anyone new coming into iOS management. May be a pain for any existing customers, but perhaps that has already been worked out.
Your JAMF AM may also have the answer on that piece.

ernstcs
Contributor III

I'm in a fortunate spot though, we've not done any enrollments thus far, just always had a few seats waiting in the wings if they wanted to test and then implement. So for me it sounds like I can drop the Enterprise Developer. I get software updates for iOS and things like Xcode through all the other Developer programs I'm in. It's quite schizophrenic, having a different Apple ID for EACH developer path you want to be on. Quite STUPID in an Enterprise...thanks, Apple.

John_Wetter
Release Candidate Programs Tester

It's correct, if you switch to the JSS APN, you need to re-enroll. So, pick your poison. Looks like Craig gets an easypass on this one though...

The only AppleID difference required (though still dumb) is any of your 'personal' developer accounts vs. the 'enterprise' developer account because they want to separate when you are acting on your behalf vs. your organizations behalf with the enterprise account.