WiFi Profiles

jared_f
Valued Contributor

Hello,

We have iPhones issued out and we are finding more and more people turning of the wireless in control center and in settings to try to get past filters and because it is "faster". This becomes a big issue because we have a limited amount of cellular data. Does anybody have something that I can use to possibly automatically enable wireless and/or stop it from being disabled?

Thank you in advanced,
Jared

4 REPLIES 4

mkolb
Contributor

Hi,

I have no first-hand experience with this, but it should be possible, for example, to use iBeacons for this. As long as an iBeacon is close, so the device is in your office, the WiFi must stay on.

An other way would be a Configuration Profile. You could use the "Network Usage Rules" payload to disable mobile data usage for the "most important" apps... like.. Facebook, whats app, youtube, Instagram, Spotify.... If they only work in WiFi, users will learn to stay in WiFi. But maybe that's a little too harsh.. don't know.

jared_f
Valued Contributor

@mkolb Thank you, I will take a look into that. It is frustrating because we have full wireless coverage and we do not restrict a lot of things!

Jared

EdLuo
Contributor II

We ran into the similar issue with high cellular data usage. Instead of forcing everyone to turn on WiFi, we did the following

• Create a configuration profile to disabled cellular data usage for video steaming apps like Netflix, Hulu, HBO, etc
  • Purchase the free video apps through VPP
  • Create a smart group for each individual video app with the criteria of App Name has {Netflix} and Supervised is supervised
  • Create a Mobile Device App for {Netflix} with setting Make app managed if currently installed as unmanaged to the above smart group

This will only work if the devices are supervised. Fortunately, all our devices are supervised.

jared_f
Valued Contributor

Thanks @EdLuo, this seems like something we will take a look into. I don't supervise the devices because they were enrolled manually after that were issued out (when I realized management was needed) -- When refreshes come around I am going to get into DEP and Supervision.