Windows 10 enrollment issue

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

when running recon.exe I keep getting that it needs .NET framework 3.5

windows features shows that it has .NET framwork 4.6 Advanced Service ON

when trying to turn 3.5 features ON it errors.

has anyone been enable to enroll a Win 10 computer?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rickwhois
Contributor

Seems like dot net 3.5 is not really installed. try the following:
To check if the.NET Framework 3.5 is available in Control Panel and to enable it, please follow these steps:

a) Press “Windows Logo” + “R” keys on the keyboard.
b) Type “appwiz.cpl” in the “Run” command box and press “ENTER”.
c) In the “Programs and Features” window, click on the link “Turn Windows features on or off”.
d) Check if the “.NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)” option is available in it.
e) If yes, then enable it and then click on “OK”.
f) Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation and restart the computer, if prompted.

This will install the .NET Framework 3.5 feature on the computer. There is also another way by which .NET Framework 3.5 gets installed on the computer. This is done by the apps on demand.

If an app requires the .NET Framework 3.5, but doesn't find that version enabled on your computer, it displays the prompt for installing the .NET Framework 3.5 on demand, either during installation, or when you run the app for the first time after its installation. In this prompt, you can choose the option “Install this feature” to enable the .NET Framework 3.5 on the computer.

If no success with this you can always try via DISM

DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All /LimitAccess /Source:d:sourcessxs
Where the Source:d is Windo10 mounted iso or dvd

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

rickwhois
Contributor

Seems like dot net 3.5 is not really installed. try the following:
To check if the.NET Framework 3.5 is available in Control Panel and to enable it, please follow these steps:

a) Press “Windows Logo” + “R” keys on the keyboard.
b) Type “appwiz.cpl” in the “Run” command box and press “ENTER”.
c) In the “Programs and Features” window, click on the link “Turn Windows features on or off”.
d) Check if the “.NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)” option is available in it.
e) If yes, then enable it and then click on “OK”.
f) Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation and restart the computer, if prompted.

This will install the .NET Framework 3.5 feature on the computer. There is also another way by which .NET Framework 3.5 gets installed on the computer. This is done by the apps on demand.

If an app requires the .NET Framework 3.5, but doesn't find that version enabled on your computer, it displays the prompt for installing the .NET Framework 3.5 on demand, either during installation, or when you run the app for the first time after its installation. In this prompt, you can choose the option “Install this feature” to enable the .NET Framework 3.5 on the computer.

If no success with this you can always try via DISM

DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All /LimitAccess /Source:d:sourcessxs

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@rickwhois this worked with mounted iso, then I was able to run recon.exe to enroll the Win10 laptop

rickwhois
Contributor

@tcandela glad to hear

cbutcher
New Contributor III

Just to clarify on why .Net 4.6 is not working. .Net 4. is backwards compatible with anything that requires .Net 4. (for example, .Net 4.6 is compatible with anything that requires .Net 4.0), but is not backwards compatible with .Net 3.5. .Net 3.5 is available to be installed on Windows 10, but is not installed by default. It does require the source files from the Windows 10 ISO which is where the DISM commands listed above come in to play.

mreaso
New Contributor III

@rickwhois Hi Rick, I've tried this method but still I can't connect to JSS in Windows 10. What do you think is the issue?

MrP
Contributor III

FWIW, I've found I have to remove the following patches to get .net installed via DISM. Once installed the patches will be automatically reinstalled as needed by windows update.

2: remove the following patches: 2966826, 2966828
⁃ wusa /uninstall /kb:2966826 /quiet /norestart ⁃ wusa /uninstall /kb:2966828 /quiet /norestart

rickwhois
Contributor

@mreaso give this a try: mount the iso, open cmd as administrator and run this command

*Where the Source:d is Windows 10 mounted iso's mounted drive letter

mreaso
New Contributor III

@rickwhois Thanks. I've tried this but still same. Still says Unable to connect to JSS...
It happen after I've updated it to the latest version -- 10.0.14393
I wonder if there's any work around on this version :(

jameshwesson
New Contributor II

Thanks everyone. Took me a while to figure out some of the syntax you guys use for 'source' but once I got it, we are on board. We really needed to get our Win10 machines in to JAMF too because it's where we are storying the Bitlocker reocovery keys for them (our larger infrastructure institution isn't offering us access to their Enterprise encryption services for Windows yet).

This article now is references in our OneNote Knowledgebase on how to get Win10 machines into JAMF. :)