Jamf Parent: Keeps installing profile without app control

FES-IT-Admin
New Contributor

Hello,

we are a school with many iPads that are managed but also able to be privatly used by the students. For this we allow parents to use the Jamf Parent app. We have currently an iPad that keeps getting a profile installed that restricts a lot of the apps and other functions as well, basically rendering the iPad almost useless. I have talked to the parent who installed the app and he said "something went wrong" and he had to uninstall the app and now he cannot set up it anymore after reinstalling. When trying to rescan the QR code by the parent, the parent app  says: "This device has already been added to the overview page" (translated from the german: "Dieses Gerät wurde bereits zu ihrer Übersichtsseite hinzugefügt").

This is a snippet from the activity log:

FESITAdmin_0-1682491818429.png

It seems to me as if the jamf server keeps thinking it needs to install the profile without the parents app issuing the command. Can this happen? If I manually clear the parents restrictions on the device it is in fact cleared, but then immediately reinstalled. We use jamf school so we cannot use the mass update feature "Remove Jamf Parent management capabilities", since it's simply not available as an option.

The only option I currently see is to deactivate the parent app feature alltogether.

What are our options to deal with this now?

2 REPLIES 2

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

I do not use JAMF School. However, make sure any record or reference to that iPad is removed from your JAMF instance. If that still does not get it, when in doubt reinstall the OS.

FES-IT-Admin
New Contributor

Well the problem is that this case shouldn't happen. I found a way to fix it but it requires me to install the jamf parent app and making myself the parent of that student. Which is a workaround for now, but I believe jamf should not end up in this situation.