lightning ios network adapter

ASVtechnology
New Contributor III

Can someone tell us if any student forgot the pin how to recoger the iPad if not have WiFi, the adapter can work if we set up a special check on the Jamf School Profile or could be this another check I see:

Allow devices to start up in recovery mode using an unpaired device connected via Lightning cable iOS 14.5 or later

Thank you

5 REPLIES 5

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

Providing you don't have a Configuration Profile in place to prevent the lighting network adapter from being used with the iPad and there are no 802.1x shenanigans on the network itself the network adapter should give the iPad internet access.

Bol
Valued Contributor

@ASVtechnology wrote:

Allow devices to start up in recovery mode using an unpaired device connected via Lightning cable iOS 14.5 or later

That option is more to do with recovery / restore / wiping the device.

If you have a Mac device on the network ( eg. MacMini / Caching server ) you can configure the following;
- General / Sharing / Internet Sharing ( on premise Jamf, I share vlan it resides on )
- General / Sharing / Content Caching / Internet Sharing
- Apple Configurator 2 ( setup your supervision identity here and in Jamf ) 
- *If policy allows* Disable usb restrictions for mobile devices

When a disabled ipad comes back, you should be able to send the clear passcode command and plug the device into your Mac to receive. 

ASVtechnology
New Contributor III

Well this option will be fine in one situation we had now, one iPad with pin, no wifi and button on/off broken where we can't do a DFU to restore it and we can't do a restore or recovery.

Bol
Valued Contributor

If there's a chance you have paired the device previously, you could use that machine.

So the setting you mentioned originally (Allow devices to start up in recovery mode...) specifically means, any devices that try to force an iPad into DFU mode from a booted OS won't be able to, if the connected device isn't trusted or allowed by that payload (default is untrusted). 

You can still put the device into recovery mode manually and then restore from there. 
https://support.apple.com/en-au/108925

Bol
Valued Contributor

Ah ok on / off broken. Does it have a home button, if yes, I guess drain until dead then can use startup / cable combo to DFU mode.