Jamf Connect Login Window Hangs

rosmer
New Contributor II

Hi all,

We're encountering a random issue with the Jamf Connect login window hanging and preventing any interaction with the computer. The login window is gray, the spinning beachball spins, and we can't click on anything.

To get around this we have to force shutdown the Macbook by holding the power button, then after starting up again, quickly click Local Login before the Jamf Connect login window can try to load.

Any thoughts? I can't yet find anything in common between the users its happening to, other than that they've brought their Macbooks home, which should be fine and works for most users.

Jamf Connect version 2.19 Build 4482 using Google LDAP

2020 Macbok Air M1 on Monterey

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

llambert
New Contributor

We found that this was only affecting devices on MacOS 12.3. We updated to 12.6 on those devices and everything is working as normal now. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

steve_summers
Contributor III

@rosmer just tossing things up the air here, but I'd look at your Jamf Connect profile and see if everything is kosher with it. Are there any in-office Jamf Connect users?  How do they perform? 

Thanks for looking @steve_summers!

Everything had been working correctly so far for these users, with the profiles as configured and logging in. The users are actually in-office too, they had just brought their Macbooks home for the evening.

I've managed to borrow one for a moment and uninstalled Connect, then reinstalled, but it goes right back to hanging the moment the login window tries to load.

llambert
New Contributor

We're seeing the same behavior here. Just started this week. Have you had any luck with a solution?

nganeles
New Contributor II

We just started seeing this too in the past few days.

Only a few seconds at login window to turn WiFi off (and see our Local Login button) before the login window hangs. Resetting authchanger (/usr/local/bin/authchanger -reset) got the login window back to default and users could log in, but setting authchanger back to jamf connect (/usr/local/bin/authchanger -reset -JamfConnect) brought the problem back. Continuing to troubleshoot when I can get my hands on one... 

llambert
New Contributor

We found that this was only affecting devices on MacOS 12.3. We updated to 12.6 on those devices and everything is working as normal now. 

rosmer
New Contributor II

Thanks for the lead @llambert! I will check out the OS version and give updating a try.

nganeles
New Contributor II

Can also confirm for us its 12.3 machines and OS update fixes it, but I'm trying to exhaust any simpler fixes or workarounds for people just running into this issue. Curious why it just seems to have started even if its only on 12.3 machines

DDP
New Contributor

@here, has anyone found a better workaround than wiping systems to 12.6.5 or higher to get rid of this problem? Jamf support mentioned to me in a ticket that is is related to to PI111513 but I can't seem to find any info in the Known Issues section. We usually deploy zero touch config systems leveraging JC/DEPNotify and this is a showstopper as we are having to wipe the system entirely first and update to 12.6.5 or above to bypass this problem (and therefore unable to drop ship the system to our new hires etc.)

Things I've tried so far:

• removing JC from PreStage and install later at login etc 
  • install a previous version of JC

None of these seem to work as it really boils down to not having a 12,6.3 system (all of our pre-purchased systems come with 12.6.3 from our vendor unfortunately). Any found work around would be great!

user-aYDbHDbJwh
New Contributor

Has anyone had a dataloss issue with this or is there a consistent workaround? Thanks!

The only fix I've had work is updating the OS past Monterey 12.3.

If you're quick enough at the login screen you should be able to click Local Login before the JAMF Connect window freezes and log in as a local administrator, then update the OS.

Done this way there should be no data loss, as a wipe of the computer isn't needed.