Using Generic Local Accounts With Jamf Connect - Login Window Popup

AHSitguy
New Contributor III

Hi,

We mainly use Jamf Connect with Azure AD for staff and student user accounts on our Macs. However, I'm thinking about using a generic local user account for consultants and guests because it is our school's policy to not create school domain accounts for consultants and guests. When I log into the local user account that I created, the user is logged in successfully, but the Jamf Connect login window pops up asking the user to authenticate to Jamf Connect. This login window can't be closed or ignored, unless I disable the setting "RequireSignIn" in the com.jamf.connect configuration profile plist. By disabling that setting, the login window will still pop up, but now I can close the window and ignore it. Are there any repercussions to disabling this setting? How will that setting affect other Jamf Connect with Azure users if I leave it disabled?

5 REPLIES 5

McAwesome
Valued Contributor

It can be done.  The two settings you'll want to look into are MigrateUsersHide for the Login Window and PasswordSyncBlockList for the Menu Bar app.  Adding the account in question into those two should prohibit it from getting associated with a network login when the user initially signs in, and the second one should prevent the menu bar app from popping up automatically while the account is signed in.  More information can be found in the Settings Reference portion of the Jamf Connect documentation.

https://docs.jamf.com/jamf-connect/2.17.0/documentation/Preference_Key_Reference.html 
https://www.jamf.com/resources/product-documentation/jamf-connect-administrators-guide/ 

AHSitguy
New Contributor III

I've tried what you suggested and the Jamf Connect login window still pops up after the local account is signed in.

McAwesome
Valued Contributor

Those fields are case sensitive, so it will see Admin, admin, and AdMiN as three separate accounts.  You may have to put multiple entries in for each.

AHSitguy
New Contributor III

The case sensitivity is correct. What I saw on the Mac under /Users is what I put into the plist. I didn't accidentally capitalize the username.

AHSitguy
New Contributor III

When you enter the users into the plist file, do you use the short names or the full user account name as it shows in System Preferences\Users?