EDR / USB Device Control Software for Macs

Knight_Owl
New Contributor III

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for a product that controls external storage devices when plugged into a Mac. For example, when a user plugs in a flash drive, if the flash drive is encrypted, then allow read-write permissions, if it is unencrypted allow read-only. This product also needs to be hosted on-premises. Any recommendations are appreciated, thank you.

7 REPLIES 7

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@Knight_Owl Jamf Protect offers the removable media control you're asking for, it is not however something you can host on-prem.

duff2481-1
New Contributor III

we use DataLocker (Portblocker) product. 

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@duff2481-1 Does that product have the option to allow writing to encrypted devices? I cannot tell from the vendor's product page.

duff2481-1
New Contributor III

Yes, we have specific USB devices that are used which are hardened (encrypted). 

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@duff2481-1 Do you mean the USB device is hardware encrypted (such as the Kingston IronKey or the Aegis Secure Key), or that a standard USB drive which has been formatted as an encrypted volume using Disk Utility can be used? The latter functionality is supported by Jamf Protect.

duff2481-1
New Contributor III
The former! I cannot recall which USB key they make us purchase, but its hardware encrypted USB keys.

Caterpillar: Confidential Green

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

Thanks for clarifying.