Progressive Web Apps

dwu
New Contributor II

Hello, I've got a third-party vendor that builds a private internal app for us. They're switching their developer tools and asked if JAMF is able to push progressive web apps. I don't know how to answer that as I'm not sure what that means. Does anyone have an answer to this question or do you need more info?

3 REPLIES 3

SammyO
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

You could deploy a bookmark or webclip. If MacOS, you could test packaging with Composer.

dwu
New Contributor II

Thanks for the response. I have deployed a webclip before so that's nothing new. I wasn't sure what a progressive web app looked like but since it's a webclip that just tells me they are developing the application more as a web/browser app than an app that is designed solely for iOS or Android devices.

sudoErase
New Contributor III

Generally, PWA and Web app are the same. The main difference is PWA is an advanced version of Web App. 

You can read about it here: https://www.csschopper.com/blog/web-app-vs-progressive-web-app/#:~:text=One%20big%20difference%20bet....

On chrome, if you go to starbucks.com or yahoo.com, you can see an install button which would indicate a PWA. 

You can manually create web app (without P) by going to:
3 dot menu bar top right -> More tools -> Create shortcut

What it looks like:
It will open a separate app and you can put it on your dock for quick access. 
instead of going to the browser, and clicking on bookmarks, it will open a new window (like an app) and acts independently from Chrome browser (even though its inside part of Chrome)
Example of PWA:

sudoErase_1-1694716440817.png

sudoErase_0-1694716379855.png

Last thought:
You can create a script to add a shortcut inside `~/Applications/Chrome\ Apps`