10.10.4 FIPS integrity and bootcache.playlist

bdwiklund
New Contributor

Hello all, was wondering if any others had encoutnered an issue we have found since upgrading a few machines from 10.10.3 to 10.10.4.

The update seems to install fine, but the machine will no longer bootup. It gets about a third of the way through the progress bar and turns itself off.

In verbose mode I get the following information:

Warning: couldn't block sleep during cache update
Warning: proceeding w/o DiskArb
/dev/disk0s2 on / (hfs, local, journaled)
BootCachecontrol: Unable to open var/db/BootCache.playlist: 2 No such file or directory exists
bash: etc/rc.server: No such file or directory
FIPS USER Space POST: Integrity test failed!
FIPS_POST failed!

Shortly after that the machine turns itself off. Right now we're going to try testing with a bare bones 10.10.3 image but curious if anyone else has encountered similar issue?

6 REPLIES 6

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@bdwiklund Were you deploying a modified rc.server file?

bdwiklund
New Contributor

We have not been deploying a modified rc.server file.

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

I used to see this kind of issue on upgrades to 10.10. I don't think this is the solve for your specific issue,
but you used to have to boot into the recovery partition and then turn off wi-fi on the recovery partition, then restart back to the main drive and it suddenly fixed itself.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

I have seen this and found that a single verbose boot (holding command and V at boot) solved the issue post upgrade (from 10.9.x to 10.10.3) Although I haven't dug deeply into it.

benshawuk
New Contributor III

I'm also encountering this issue when upgrading machines from 10.11.1 to 10.11.3
Has anyone else had this? I'm strongly suspecting it's due to machines powering off/running out of batteries/going to sleep during the middle of the upgrade process..

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Well... I'm certainly going to be posting more here as I've begun running into a very 'similar' issue while testing self-service upgrades form our 10.10.5 systems to 10.11.4. Mind you, I've got a few more lines regarding missing bootcache playlists but... In any event, I will certainly be adding my 2 cents worth shortly as I try to dig in and figure this one out. It IS COMPLETELY REPLICABLE ON EVERY INSTALL FYI. That said, I have to assume it's some incompatibility I've caused as I've also got fully modular image -test- configurations working just fine. Unfortunately, all of my 'production' units used the old 'touched'/previously booted OS.dmgs as part of their original configuration. Oh fun...