10.11.6 - "AirDrop" from Share menu missing

georgecm12
Contributor III

A user pointed out to me today that she was at some point in the past able to select AirDrop from the sharing menu, but that the option is no longer there on her computer. I looked at the Extensions preference pane, at the Share Menu section, and the only options listed there are Reminders, Messages, Notes, and OneNote.

I found the following technote which seemed to describe the problem:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203129
However, following the instruction listed there did not seem to produce any changes.

To my knowledge, this isn't anything I intentionally did.

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@georgecm12 there are a few profiles that can block AirDrop. Have a look at any restrictions profiles you have.

georgecm12
Contributor III

Oh, sorry - AirDrop works. They can open the AirDrop window and do a drag and drop onto the remote AirDrop device.

It's only the share menu item that is missing. (That is, right click on the file and select Share. They claim AirDrop used to be there at some point, but isn't there now.)

cboatwright
New Contributor III

If you have configured any Configuration Profiles that include a Restriction payload then you may have inadvertently turned off a lot of the Sharing Service options for your user(s). Leaving these unchecked when a Restriction payload applies uses the JAMF/Apple logic that you want to disable everything...