10.11 non admin user can't print PrinterProxy (Printer Proxy)

pnbahry
New Contributor III

Under our current 10.11 non admin build for junior school students, whenever a student attempts to print they get the following error:

You don't have permission to use the application "PrinterProxy"

The PrinterProxy file that is trying to open is located in the following location:
/Users/Library/Printers/PrinterName/Contents/MacOS/PrinterProxy

/Users has been restricted from running any Applications on these machines.

I am guessing this is a El capitan/10.11 issue because I have not seen this is any of our older builds.

Has anyone else had this issue ?

Thanks
Paul

40 REPLIES 40

CasperSally5432
New Contributor III

I've still been scripting sym link and printers to other locations... and had teacher question something which made me test if it's still necessary and I no longer get printerproxy prompts anymore even without allowlisting anything in /Users.

If I copy the printerproxy executable to my desktop, it is blocked, but not when it's in the native printer location.   I put a ticket in with Apple who said "According to my research an exception is made to allow the PrintProxy binaries. I know there were issues in the past where  this payload would block users from printing. "

Just replying back in case others are still scripting this thinking it's still necessary, it may not be.  We are going to do some more testing here.