10.13 RECON discrepancy with Printers

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

is anyone else seeing wrong inventory information with printers in 10.13 ??

I have no printers installed but the inventory is showing 2 printers in my environment as being installed. I even did a reset printing system and then ran 'recon' from the command line and still those 2 printers are showing up in the computers casper inventory along with 3 more printers !!!!

what the heck is going on ?????

17 REPLIES 17

bryantdresher
New Contributor III

Does CUPS show any printers in the local web management interface? Open http://localhost:631/printers/

One would think after a print system reset that all queues would be cleared out.

remyb
Contributor

Are you sure the recon is completing successfully?

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@tcandela this is a known defect in the product with 10.13. I reported it a while back and was given PI-004528 as the product issue number. Please report to your Jamf buddy to help increase the priority for the fix.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@bryantdresher CUPS is showing NO PRINTERS

@remyb yep, recon is completing successfully. I run it from the CLI and it shows

loading applications......
loading accounts......
loading printers........
submitting data to ............

JSS for the computer then shows Last Inventory Update: about a minute ago

@mpermann where do i see Pl-004528 ?

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@tcandela

There is nowhere you will be able to see PI-004528 as we do not have a public repository of our Product Issues.
We do have a feature request for that, which you can upvote here.

There is no workaround to PI-004528, and it is not actually installing the printers advertised on the network onto the computer, it is simply incorrectly showing them as installed on the computer's inventory page.

As others have mentioned, this is a known issue, which we have filed under PI-004528. You will continue to see this behavior because PI-004528 is still in an open status.

If you need more information, have questions about PI-004528, or would like to open a case to have it attached, please contact Support.

Were Wulff
Jamf Customer Experience.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@were.wulff correct, it's not installing the printers, it's just showing printers as being installed in inventory.

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@tcandela

That is exactly the behavior we see with PI-004528.

If you haven't already, please get in touch with Support to get a case opened and attached to PI-004528.

Thanks!
Were Wulff
Jamf Customer Experience.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

Hey JAMF are you going to fix this printer inventory issue ?????? I have inventory on some of my computers showing as many as 40 printers installed !!!!!!!!!!!!

avail
New Contributor III

Hello all, no fix, but just wanting to chime in a 'same here'.

Just got a new batch of macOS 10.13 iMacs in and seeing this same behaviour. I've just tried installing the QuickAdd package on one of the Macs and it looked like the correct printers were showing up in inventory. But the next time I checked that Mac, it was back to showing 11 printers instead of the 3 that are actually installed :(

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@remyb yes, recon is completing successfully. I just took a look at one of my iMacs and inventory is showing 7 printers installed, while only 4 printers are 'actually' installed.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

anyone else continue to see INVENTORY showing random printers with High Sierra?

I simply enroll a new mac and the inventory immediately shows 3 printers.

localhost:631/printers shows NO PRINTERS

rjford
New Contributor II

I can provide you a little more info as I'm the one who originally ran into this and had the product issue filed. JAMF in 10.13.xx is showing in inventory all discoverable printers instead of all installed printers. They haven't fixed it yet.. so a temporary work around we found if you want it is to utilize this is an extension attribute which will give you a list of installed printers:

#!/bin/bash
####################################################################################################
#
# Copyright (c) 2016, JAMF Software, LLC.  All rights reserved.
#
#       Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
#       modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
#               * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
#                 notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
#               * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
#                 notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
#                 documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
#               * Neither the name of the JAMF Software, LLC nor the
#                 names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products
#                 derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
#
#       THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY JAMF SOFTWARE, LLC "AS IS" AND ANY
#       EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
#       WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
#       DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL JAMF SOFTWARE, LLC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
#       DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
#       (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
#       LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND
#       ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
#       (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
#       SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
#
####################################################################################################
# Workaround Attribute for PI-004528 in 9.101.0 of Jamf Pro where macOS 10.13 machines reporting 
# advertised printers on network as installed.
#########
printz=`lpstat -a | awk '{ print $1 }'`
if [ "$printz" != "" ]; then
echo "<result>$printz</result>"
else
echo "<result>None</result>"
fi
exit 0

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

still on 9.101. but what i see happening with 10.13 printer inventory is that Bonjour printers are being added as installed printers even if that printer is not installed on that mac running 10.13.

I see 4 bonjour printers, and each of those printers are showing up in the computers printer inventory even though not one of those bonjour printers are installed.

So if i legitimately add 2 printers using my self service policies, 2 printers will actually be installed, while 6 printers will show up in that computers PRINTERS inventory.

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@tcandela by the way, it's still broken in Jamf Pro 10.3.1.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

I added this discussion in October, 2017 and it's still an issue!!

way to go JAMF

glpi-ios
Contributor III

Hi,

Do you know if the PI-004528 issue is still relevant?

I use Jamf Pro 10.9 and I have this problem on 10.13.x and 10.14.x computers.
I can see more than 50 printers appear in the inventory whereas there are usually only 1 or 2...

Thanks

dvdbyd
New Contributor

For those interested, this bug was fixed in Jamf Pro 10.10.0 https://docs.jamf.com/10.10.0/jamf-pro/release-notes/Bug_Fixes_and_Enhancements.html.