10.7.4 Lion/Hidden SMB Share Issue.

taugust04
Valued Contributor

Hi everyone,

I've been stumped for two days on this one… this isn't exactly Casper related, but I was wondering if anyone here has run into this:

I have a user with OS X 10.7.4, re-imaged recently, logging in with a local user (admin) account. She has suddenly lost the ability to connect to a Windows share on her MacBook Pro. The path to the share/folder is:

smb://servername.domain.edu/deptshares$/share1

The share is on a Windows Server 2008 R2 server. When she mounts the share, she only gets the root folder (deptshares$) mounted on her desktop, which she is unable to browse. Usually, the share would mount, and a new finder window for share1 appears on the screen, and she can browse the contents of the folder as normal. Our server admins have checked her access and it's set properly, and nothing has changed recently. There are several other oddities that I'm encountering with this issue:

- It was working fine before she went on vacation. When she came back, it stopped working. No updates are changes were made to her MacBook Pro while she was away, nor were any changes made to the server.
- She has access to a second folder on the hidden share (lets call it share2), and it's working perfectly fine.
- Reboot, repair permissions, flushing caches didn't resolve the issue. Nor did clearing out her keychain in case it was some type of credentials issue.
- If I login with a different local account on her computer, then have her login/mount to the two shares, she is able to connect and view both shares. Have her logout, then login with her normal account, it's back to being able to connect to share2, but not share1.

It looks like I need to create a new local user account for her, but, she has a lot of files and settings to backup to bring over to the new account. I don't want to restore from a full backup of her user account, because I don't want to copy back any settings that might be causing this issue, even though I have no clue what that is.

Has anyone else seen this, or know what the cause might be? Thanks for any help or insight anyone has on this. I would hate to have to rebuild her local account when a simple or less destructive fix is available.

~Ted

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

golbiga
Contributor III
Contributor III

I saw something similar to this once before. ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.NetAuthAgent.plist was corrupted. I deleted it and the .lockfile and the user was able to login properly under their profile. Hope this helps.

Allen

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

golbiga
Contributor III
Contributor III

I saw something similar to this once before. ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.NetAuthAgent.plist was corrupted. I deleted it and the .lockfile and the user was able to login properly under their profile. Hope this helps.

Allen

taugust04
Valued Contributor

Thanks Allen.

Weirdly, there was not a com.apple.NetAuthAgent.plist file in her preferences folder. I created a blank .plist, with that name, and it somehow resolved the issue. I'll be on the lookout for that troublesome file in the future!

~Ted