10.8 Apple SUS - Casper Settings

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

This is driving me absolutely mad, and I am probably just missing something silly. I am pointing our 10.6/10.7 clients to our internal SUS server, which works like a charm. For the life of me I can't figure out the correct settings to add Apple's SUS servers to Casper, both via the Software Update servers settings in Casper or via MCX. Can someone tell me what server/port I should be entering in order to set 10.8 clients to connect to Apple's SUS servers. Thanks!

http://swscan.apple.com:8088/index.sucatalog does not work when deployed via MCX to 10.8 clients.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I'm not certain of the correct URL, but why not simply run a sudo jamf removeSWUSettings on those Macs? They should get pointed back to Apple's SUS once that runs on them since they'll no longer have a CatalogURL entry in the plist.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

mm2270

I'm not certain of the correct URL, but why not simply run a sudo jamf removeSWUSettings on those Macs? They should get pointed back to Apple's SUS once that runs on them since they'll no longer have a CatalogURL entry in the plist.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

I'm probably going to get skewered here but I've always just created a policy for a group of units. Other than normal items you'd select to create a policy (name, scope, etc). On any policies "General" tab expand the section called "Override Default Policy Settings" and choose "Apple.com" form the software update server section. Works like a charm regardless of OS or unit. See, the JSS knows...

In any event, I'm sure there are going to be great scripts to follow that are superior in various ways. I took the easy route.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

... OH, P.S. Make sure that the JSS doesn't suddenly reload the non-apple SWU. If you've got other policies enforcing it (i.e. daily inventory, network segment, etc) you're going to make room in them for these units.

mm2270

@Chris_Hafner, yep, I was also going to mention using the Override defaults section in the policy. That should work as well. I'm not certain, but I believe what that does is the same as the command, namely, remove any specific SUS Catalog URL setting, which automagically points the client back to Apple's servers.

jvlinden
New Contributor

Is your SUS on 10.8? Because a 10.6 SUS can service 10.6 and 10.7 clients but will not do 10.8. I discovered this recently as I tried to do the same thing.

bgilroy
New Contributor II

http://updateserver.domain.com:8088/content/catalogs/others/index-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog

this must be a 10.8 server to update 10.8 clients

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

Our internal SUS is on 10.6.8 server, so yeah, that won't work with 10.8 clients. I am in the process of getting a 10.8 SUS server up and running. The sudo jamf removeSWUSettings command did the trick. Thanks guys!

gregneagle
Valued Contributor

Or you could just set up Reposado on your existing 10.6.8 server:
https://github.com/wdas/reposado