Software Update "Set Server" policy adding a trailing space to SUS URL

powellbc
Contributor II

Today I started looking at some some SUS things to verify clients are getting the updates they should be. In the course of troubleshooting I discovered the JSS option (under he Policies>packages area) to set the SUS server is adding a trailing space to the URL the client uses to connect. Running the "Defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate CatalogURL" command clearly shows the trailing space.

It is causing issues—in some cases it appears be falling back to Apple's servers (clients are seeing a Java update we disabled and the source of the update is not listed) or no updates are listed at all.

I assume this is a bug. Is there a workaround short of writing a script to set the SUS?

8 REPLIES 8

andrew_stenehje
Contributor

We've had to set this via script for 10.8 machines rather than using that built in function.

powellbc
Contributor II

I was just about to post what you discovered: after further testing this issue only appears to affect 10.8 machines. I logged a support ticket, hopefully it is resolved soon.

myronjoffe
Contributor III

We're also having the same issue. Is there any fix? I know the workaround but it requires creating additional policies as we have 4 replica SUS's in different regions.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

any update on this powellbc?

We're seeing the same

sgrall-pfg
Contributor

I've reported it to my JAMF rep, so hopefully this will be fixed in the next revision of the suite.

myronjoffe
Contributor III

Can anyone confirm if this has been updated in 8.64?

aamjohns
Contributor II

I just checked my system on 8.64 and I do not see a space inserted.

myronjoffe
Contributor III

Just upgraded to 8.64 and still seeing the same issue :(