10.9.3 NetBoot gets "SecurityAgent may only be invoked by Apple Software" error

jkuo
Contributor

Hey all,

This is my first attempt at spinning up a NetBoot server. I'm using NetSUS 3.0 on Ubuntu 12.04, and I built the netboot image using an AutoDMG created base image. Following instructions I found in another discussion, I mounted that AutoDMG image on the machine (also running 10.9.3), and then ran System Image Utility. Chose Customize, then added a Casper Tools 9.31 pkg that I built with Package Maker.

Uploaded the nbi folder to NetSUS, and then enabled NetBoot. Green light.

Now, when I try to netboot a 2012 15" Retina, it gets the Apple, but then gets to a point where it says "SecurityAgent may only be invoked by Apple Software" with an OK button.

I figure I did something wrong with creating the nbi, but I'm not sure what it is. What should I be doing instead?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

jamesdurler
Contributor

Hi, I am having the same issue. I am only seeing this error message when booting mid 2013 macbook airs. Have you resolved this issue?

jennifer
Contributor

I had the same error pop up on an iMac (not net boot). I'm not sure what caused it, but I found a solution on MacRumors to get rid of it.

Boot up into single user mode.
Run fsck
Mount the drive
Erase /var/folders
(OP says fsck again; but I forgot and it was fine)
Reboot

/sbin/fsck -fy (space after the k)
/sbin/mount -uw / (space after the t and after the w)
rm -Rf /var/folders/* (space after the m and the f)
shutdown -r now

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1723409

Look
Valued Contributor III

Jennifer's solutions sounds like the correct solution for a local issue.
If I understand you correctly this is happening when you are trying to netboot?
If so the answer may be that you need to empty the /var/folders folder inside the boot image... just making a guess here.
Incidentally if you do have a working netdeploy server (and possibly other netboot deployments) you can often solve local versions of this problem very easily by netbooting and then using the terminal within the netboot to clear the /var/folders on the local disk.

jamesdurler
Contributor

Jennifer that worked for me. I ran a disk repair on the net boot.dmg within the NBI folder then mounted the dmg and removed the contents within /var/folders. Then re-ran disk repair on the net boot.dmg and now macbook airs are net booting without this error message!

Thanks!

Mbeckmann
New Contributor

I've tried this fix and can't seem to get it to work. I"m geting a lot of "Invalid argument" and "Directory not empty" when trying this from Single user mode.

I've tried doing it from terminal under root, same issues. I don't have net boot available to run terminal from and target disk mode won't work as I seem to have misplaced my TBolt cable...any other ways to go about wiping the var folders?