10.9.3 Update Makes /Users/ Hidden

pblake
Contributor III

Seems with the 10.9.3 update Apple is hiding the Users folder. I believe Apple had done this by design, but it also could be a bug. I don't see any harm in it as users couldn't see other users files anyway. The only harm is maybe to people who use the "Shared User" folder. Regardless, I wanted to let you all know.

If you want to change it back here is a fix below.

To ensure the visibility of the /Users folder after restarts, you can create an AppleScript applet, and set it to run when you log in to your Mac. Use the following code:

tell application "Terminal"
do shell script "chflags nohidden /Users" password "yourpassword" with administrator privileges
end tell

Replace “your password” with your user password. Save this as an application, and add it to your login items in System Preferences > Accounts.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rtrouton
Release Candidate Programs Tester

It looks like this issue has been tied to two causes:

1. iTunes 11.2 being installed
  2. iCloud's Find My Mac being enabled.

I've got a post on the issue and what currently fixes it available here:

http://derflounder.wordpress.com/2014/05/16/users-folder-being-hidden-with-itunes-11-2-installed-and...

View solution in original post

43 REPLIES 43

jhbush
Valued Contributor II

@donmontalvo we deal with a few of the companies mentioned in those articles. Our in-house developers have nothing, but complaints about them. Most of the code is sloppy and poorly written. I guess it all makes sense now given the last few years of buggy releases from Apple. I was always wondering why such obvious mistakes were getting released.

scottb
Honored Contributor

It also explains some of the replies to bug reports we get asking for more information or repeatedly not getting the gist of what we've submitted. The whole process is incredibly frustrating, and bugs remain after numerous major releases and dot updates over the years. They can't seem to find enough good ways to spend their billions, but they risk it all by this practice of cheap coders. Apple aren't alone either. I don't recall any articles on management being outsourced...

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@jhbush1973 Companies that jump into the outsourcing rabbit hole do it for profit. 1 competent American developer can be replaced by 8 cheap/incompetent offshore (aka "back office") resources. It's a bean counter's dream. ;)

How would things pan out if The Four Seasons Restaurant decides to phase in McDonalds "chefs" to replace their top tier chefs? It starts with denial...

"Our food is cooked by the world's greatest chefs" - The Four Seasons Restaurant manager

...or...

"We sell quality food at significant savings" - McDonalds Franchise Owner

Then eventually the bean counters walk with their bonuses, and there is a shift of strategy...

"Our customers are leaving, time to hire qualified/competent chefs, maybe we can re-hire the ones we fired?" - The Four Seasons Restaurant manager

...or...

"McDonalds holds firm in their commitment of selling cheap food to a lot of people - we are not responsible for obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc." - McDonalds Franchise Owner

There is a hidden cost to these stupid decisions, but by the time it's realized, the bean counters have already walked with their sack of bonus money. ;)

Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

"More than 2.5 billion people have to eat (India/China)...why not exploit all that cheap labor?" - Apple Stock Holders

@boettchs depending on who you ask, many management positions have already moved offshore. ;)

--
https://donmontalvo.com