2 packages, 1 policy

binjali
Contributor

This might be an easy one:  Can jamf policies install 2 related packages from a single policy? If yes, how would I enforce which one gets installed first?

Specific scenario information: I'm installing Sony Image Edge/Sony Image Desktop, which is downloaded as a single pkg file. once installed, the app tells you to download another pkg file using a download button from inside the app. that pkg file is installed manually as well.

I'd like to have a single policy that installs the base pkg, then the secondary pkg.  is that possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tribruin
Valued Contributor II

You can also set the priority of the package in the Package Options tab. Lower numbers get installed before higher numbers. 

So, Priority 1 will get installed before Priority 2. If two packages have the same priority, the will be installed in alphabetical order. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Yes, you can install 2 or more packages in a single policy. To enforce order Jamf Pro does things in numerical/alphabetical order. So the easiest thing to do is add a 1 to the name of the first package and a 2 to the name of the second. Something like:

01 - Package 1.pkg

02 - Package 2.pkg

Or:

A - Package 1.pkg

B - Package 2.pkg

Tribruin
Valued Contributor II

You can also set the priority of the package in the Package Options tab. Lower numbers get installed before higher numbers. 

So, Priority 1 will get installed before Priority 2. If two packages have the same priority, the will be installed in alphabetical order. 

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

LOL... I must be getting old because I keep forgetting some of the simple tricks. It's been so long since I've used the priority method that I completely forgot about that.

This is the easier method to accomplish the task. Listen to what he said.

mikeh
Contributor II

It is worth noting that, in either case mentioned by @stevewood or @Tribruin, when using a policy to install two packages, if the installation of the first package fails for any reason (transient network failure that interrupts the download, for instance), the second package may still be installed normally. If you absolutely have to ensure that PackageA is installed properly before PackageB is installed, you'll need to download the packages to the machine somehow and then script the installation of the two downloaded packages, checking after each package installation to ensure it was installed properly.

If you want to avoid scripting, an alternative is to install PackageA in one policy, and then install PackageB as a second policy that is scoped to those devices that have successfully installed PackageA.

If anybody knows of a way to do conditional installation of a series of packages within a single policy, I would welcome that info!