8.6 ahhh another bug!

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

i re-imaged two machines as normal (10.6.8) but first deleting the machines because i had to rename them.

It seems ticking the always managed account is not turning on ssh it just set permissions for you admin account but doesn't actually turn it on and so lots of things fail!

I have logged in manually and enabled them.

Also in JSS i cannot what ever i do recon these two machines now! I have even gone to the extreme of jamf removeFramework on them but get error.

Then looking in the JSS i have all details for the two machines blank even computer names etc.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

Turns out unticking the following fixed it

Inventory Collection Preferences>Software Collection Settings>Application Collection> Include sizes, copyright information,...

in the terminal output i was getting a Bus Error. Jamf said this could be because some vendor possible put in some weird character in copyright or something.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

thisisdave
New Contributor

Have you tried to ```

> jamf enroll

```?
What's the output a verbose recon?

what's the GID of your casper management account?

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

jamf -enroll -verbose
Downloading the JSS CA Certificate... verbose: Successfully downloaded the certificate "Rufus Leonard Ltd JSS Built-in Certificate Authority". verbose: Adding the certificate to the System keychain... verbose: Successfully added the certificate to the System keychain...
There were (1) previous JAMF device identities found on this computer. Removing...
This computer was successfully enrolled to the JSS with the following device certificate: "874D5A38-CB01-5B88-8561-FBA57C3207A1"
Retrieving inventory preferences from https://ldnpsa010015:8443/...
Finding extension attributes...

then it shows in the jss when clicking on search computer as a blank line and thats it

i then try again

jamf -enroll -verbose
Downloading the JSS CA Certificate... verbose: Successfully downloaded the certificate "Rufus Leonard Ltd JSS Built-in Certificate Authority". verbose: Adding the certificate to the System keychain... verbose: Successfully added the certificate to the System keychain...

There was an error.

Error enrolling computer: Unable to create a device certificate. Valid credentials are required.

so then i deleted the machine from the jss and tried a jamf removeFramework and reboot.

If i then try and recon the machine the same problem happens.

ike
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

If you have deleted the computer from the JSS, you will need to add the -prompt option with enroll to authenticate again.

Give this a try and see if the enrollment goes through:

jamf enroll -prompt -verbose

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

no still not doing anything for me. Deleting the machine from the jss isnt deleting the machine.

There were (1) previous JAMF device identities found on this computer. Removing...
This computer was successfully enrolled to the JSS with the following device certificate: "874D5A38-CB01-5B88-8561-FBA57C3207A1"
Retrieving inventory preferences from https://ldnpsa010015:8443/...
Finding extension attributes...

jss search computers stills only shows the managed account of the machine and thats it.

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

the machine rather than just being blank fields on the jss now just show -Not Enrolled-

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

Turns out unticking the following fixed it

Inventory Collection Preferences>Software Collection Settings>Application Collection> Include sizes, copyright information,...

in the terminal output i was getting a Bus Error. Jamf said this could be because some vendor possible put in some weird character in copyright or something.

Olivier
New Contributor II

We got also the "Error enrolling computer: Unable to create a device certificate. Valid credentials are required." message. The "jamf -verbose" did not bring anything. Removing Jamf stuff from "/Library/Application Support" or running "jamf removeFramework" did not help.

-> Later, I found that one of the built-in MAC@ of that specific Mac, was added to exclusion list (Removable MAC Addresses). Pls don't ask me why it was so... I removed the entry, and Recon immediately started to work. So the error messsage "Unable to create a device certificate." seems to be a "default-error message".

I remember I had also an issue with enrollment few months ago, and the time was incorrectly set...