802.1.X Computer Based Authentication

pblake
Contributor III

Would love to hear some success stories.

17 REPLIES 17

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

Using it on roughly 4000 Macs running 10.7 and up. The only big issue we've had was with 10.8.x. There was a known problem where Wi-Fi would disconnect after 60 seconds and Apple made us wait till 10.9 for a fix.

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

We use 802.1x for Wifi and Ethernet, computer-based authentication (so the network is active before the user logs in). We use computer certificates for Wifi and the computer's Active Directory credentials for Ethernet. It works fairly well, minus some Apple bugginess.

millersc
Valued Contributor

Ditto @alexjdale comments here. Almost 10K devices this way.

chuyendv
New Contributor

We are using it on about 100 Macs with Cisco devices. It works on Mavericks but does not on Yosemite

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@chuyendv, I'be just started looking at issues with 802.1x & Yosemite on our Wireless.

Have you any findings?

@alexjdale & @millersc Do you have working Yosemite clients?

millersc
Valued Contributor

@bentoms I just tried a 10.10.1 image. It is not working. Yosemite is not in our timeline in the near future, so we are ok but will be following this.

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

@millersc You might check the following thread. We (and others) had an issue where our existing 802.1x profile didn't work with Yosemite.

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=12287

stevehahn
Contributor

Is there a guide posted somewhere for getting this set up?

ckgov
New Contributor II

+1 for what stevehahn asked. Is there a guide for setting this up?

I have 802.1X working after login with a certificate and the users AD user/pass. It is basically useless since binding the Mac to AD there is no network at the login window. Everything is wireless and no ethernet.

mostlikelee
Contributor

Currently using SCEP/Network/Certificate config profiles to install root and machine certs for auth and auto-connect to Wifi. If you have a MS CA server, fire up SCEP and configure the default template. There's a couple blog posts out there that help out quite a bit. Make sure you include the entire cert chain in the Certificate config profile and trust them in the Network config profile.

stevehahn
Contributor

Thanks @timkalee, can you link to any of those blog posts?

mostlikelee
Contributor

@stevehahn here's a good one:

http://networklessons.com/wireless/eap-tls-with-server-2008-scep-for-apple-devices/

stevehahn
Contributor

Thanks everyone! I've got a working configuration profile that uses EAP-TLS and testing is going well so far.

bentoms

@stevehahn][/url I too had to change my profile from PEAP to EAP-TLS with MSCHAPv2 inner indentity.

I'm not sure if YoYo is being finicky, or we have issues with our wireless setup (both are possible).

Either way, it's working.

blackwoodT
New Contributor

I have been reading this thread with interest as I am also experience issues with 802.1X profiles. Is it possible for someone to post a screenshot of the particular settings you are using so I can compare against what I am doing and see if I can solve the problem? We had no problems with the profile I am using with 10.9.

Thanks,

Will

bentoms

@lelongw][/url][/url][/url, i hope this helps.

Working 10.7 - 10.9:
external image link

Working 10.10:
external image link

bigdaddybesbris
New Contributor

@bentoms @lelongw

Your screenshots are from Casper? I'm currently struggling with something similar, see: https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=13423

Don't mean to thread hijack.

Thanks,

E