9.5 and 9.51: Devices lose location information and renamed automatically

Edwards
New Contributor

We run a 1:1 with about 3,000 student iPads enrolled in Apple's DEP. Upon the release of iOS 8, we upgraded to Casper 9.5 to take advantage of some of the new features. However, we seem to be having an issue with our location information being wiped out.

Devices that UPGRADE to iOS 8 (no removal of data) seem to be unaffected. However, devices that were restored, factory reset, or remotely wiped through jamf lose all location information and other pertinent user data (user name, full name, email, etc) and are then renamed to the WIFI MAC address. The renaming even occurs when I check to "enforce mobile name". When data is wiped, this setting does nothing and is reverted to the off position. This is a big issue for us as we scope certain profiles and configurations based on the location information within the device. The whole renaming thing isn't a big deal, but it would be nice to not look at a bunch of WIFI MAC addresses as mobile device names. :)

Basically, I'm just interested in if anyone else is having this issue and/or what you've taken to resolve. Even if we can't get a resolution, it would be good to notify jamf if this is a widespread issue. Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

hopefully you've contacted jamf - I did and it is a bug on enrollment. Irritating too as I had not yet enrolled our 600 returning students, so all the device assignments had to be done again, one by one......

rcorbin
Contributor II

Any chance it's fixed in 9.52 ?

aedwards
New Contributor

Rcorbin, if you haven't been able to update to 9.52 then I wouldn't worry about it. This problem is still persistent in that version. I am still working with my account rep to hopefully get this issue resolved.

Sean_Ginn
New Contributor II

What I am seeing is a Management Command that is being pushed from the JSS once the devices have been updated to iOS8 then it's renaming them.

Set Device Name is the command name.

I can't seem to find anything that is affecting this or anything that I can do to set the name. The only place I am seeing this is from the Pre-Stage Enrollment and no where else. It seems to be happening after an update to inventory and I can't figure out why. Driving me nuts

aedwards
New Contributor

The location info has been fixed in 9.6. Devices are still being renamed to the WIFI MAC address with DEP. But at least that's one issue solved.

rcorbin
Contributor II

Good to hear that is fixed.