9.63 Web UI slow response (tomcat issues?)

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

So since our upgrade to 9.63 we are seeing the JSS be very slow to respond. Working on it with support currently, but wondering if anyone else is seeing this?

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

I think we may have resolved this, we have some specific settings for our sql and tomcat with threads and memory set much higher than usual. These seemed to get reset during the 9.62-9.63 upgrade for some reason.
Worked with support to set these back.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

ahambidge
New Contributor II

@gshackney, what's your setup like? I had lots of strangeness in my shop with a specific configuration.

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

Mac Pro 6 core running 10.9.5 64 gigs of ram running mysql 5.5. With its 2 gig ports aggregated.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

ahambidge
New Contributor II

Gotcha. Sadly, I won't be of much help here; Windows backend for my JSS. :/

martin
Contributor III
Contributor III

Based on the amount of devices you have within the JSS you need to assign enough (minimal 2 GB) memory to Tomcat. Also PermGen size of Tomcat should be at least 256 MB.

Allocating Additional Memory to Tomcat:
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=139

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

It could certainly be a Tomcat memory allocation issue or something along those lines. We had to make a number of tweaks with the help of our account rep after upgrading from the 8 series to 9.61. Did you upgrade from a much older release of the JSS, like from 9.2 etc? Or even from an 8.x version?
I also haven't seen anyone ask, but is the sluggishness in the web UI only? If so, what browser are you using to access it? It's been mentioned elsewhere but worth saying again that JSS 9.6x and the latest versions of Safari basically work like s#it together. I use Firefox exclusively now when logging in to the JSS because with Safari it's downright unusable.

Bray
New Contributor

I'm seeing this too, with a Windows backend - I have a support call open at the moment and it's looking like it might be a mySQL issue for us. It's taking me up to 5 minutes to open a user after searching for them, and the same when opening their machine from their user. Browsing around policies seems ok speedwise though, our memory usage is pretty low, so I don't think that's the issue for us.

A bigger problem for us since upgrading to 9.63 is the QuickAdd package failing to complete on some machines during user initiated enrolment due to timing out when contacting the JSS - it fails at the "Running package scripts", and fails on remote enrolment for these same machines...fingers crossed we get this sorted today!

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

I think we may have resolved this, we have some specific settings for our sql and tomcat with threads and memory set much higher than usual. These seemed to get reset during the 9.62-9.63 upgrade for some reason.
Worked with support to set these back.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

millersc
Valued Contributor

@gshackney check with your TSA, but I remember them claiming this bug was suppose to be fixed for this version upgrade. Any upgrade after 9.62 should not reset any "tuning" done previously.

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

Should not, but did in fact change one or two settings to defaults. However some others did remain the same.
They were going to verify on their own system if indeed they could replicate this issue.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools